Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

DL1608 destroying my Mac Mini(s)

<< < (3/11) > >>

Wynnd:
None of the PC's I've ever owned were, but new ones might.  Only have one now and mostly use it for playing games.  (Windows 7, quad core processor.  It's been here for a while.)  And yes, I did know about the ios devices.  Have 3 iphones in the house, 2 ipads.  Apple products, I expected it of them.  (Don't know about fiber with them.  I don't really have a fiber inputed device in the house.) 

WK154:

--- Quote from: Wynnd on March 02, 2015, 05:40:08 AM ---None of the PC's I've ever owned were, but new ones might.  Only have one now and mostly use it for playing games.  (Windows 7, quad core processor.  It's been here for a while.)  And yes, I did know about the ios devices.  Have 3 iphones in the house, 2 ipads.  Apple products, I expected it of them.  (Don't know about fiber with them.  I don't really have a fiber inputed device in the house.)

--- End quote ---
ALL headphone outputs will drive a line/mic input. ::)

Wynnd:
That's a change.  I've been dealing with PCs since 1984.  Don't expect them to never change, but after years of Windows issues and problems and pains, I moved over to Macs and have never regretted it.  I was a Network/PC tech.  (CNA A+ Novell certifications.)  I don't do that anymore.  (At home, I'm still the tech.)  So it's good to see other manufacturers catching up.  And passing Apple on the touch screen.  Already I reach up and touch the screen out of habit with my ipads and iphone.  My next MacBook will have to have a touch screen.   Meantime, I'm still quite happy with my 5 year old MacBook.  Hopefully Apple will make the jump within the next few years.  (Though I'm sure I could live with this computer for another 5 years with one battery replacement.)

sam.spoons:
I've just reread the start of this thread and the OP ILC Saratoga says he connects the headphone output to CH16 XLR input. There are several ways to do this, nearly all wrong (even some which employ a DI box). I'd be interested to know precisely what type of lead/adapter was used?

Keyboard Magic:

--- Quote from: RoadRanger on March 02, 2015, 04:29:26 AM ---
--- Quote from: Wynnd on March 02, 2015, 04:18:59 AM ---Just because it worked for you, doesn't make it a good thing to do.  I never run amplifiers into inputs.  NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!!!!   If you fry something doing that, you probably deserved it.  I don't drive my car off cliffs either.  They aren't designed to be used that way. Misusing equipment and then complaining about it breaking should be illegal.
--- End quote ---
The headphone output on a PC or iDevice is also the line out. 1/8" stereo to dual RCA plug cables are extremely common. And all active devices have amplifiers on their line outputs, including keyboards, pedals, CD players, etc. You may very well be the only one on this board who doesn't commonly use 1/8" stereo headphone jacks as line outs ;) .

In this case it was the 48V phantom power that fried the output. As a general rule of thumb never feed an unbalanced output into an XLR input on a mixer without transformer isolation - and even devices with XLR outputs can be damaged by phantom (or possibly powered by it ;) ).

OTOH if the run is long (or the device is not on the same power as the mixer) I'll use a couple of XLR cables and and 1:1 isolation transformers between the mixer and the 18" splitout cable.
http://artproaudio.com/artcessories/audio_solutions/product/dti/

--- End quote ---

Can't actually remember (old age) are the combo jacks on the DL1608 phantom enabled? I've been doing what you do connecting laptops/iPads/pods to 15/16 on the DL for a while and no issues ever. And I've had to run with phantom enabled while doing this.  I do use a dual DI box and mic cables for long runs though, always. This is the DI I use:

https://www.long-mcquade.com/840/Pro_Audio_Recording/Mic_Preamps_DI_Boxes/ART_Pro_Audio/Dual_Passive_Direct_Box.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version