Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

First gig with DL32R did not go smooth

<< < (2/5) > >>

musicdan:
I have found that anytime either app is updated (my fader or master fader) each iOS device needs a power cycle. After update, the devices often won't  recognize the mixer. Restart all iPads/iPhones and one by one any connectivity issue will go away.

MarkDMcBride:
My situation was not app update. I updated to 3.0.2 before I even acquired a DL32R.

I power down my iPads after every gig to save battery. These iPads are only for sound work. The only time they are on the internet it behind my home router/firewall and to update IOS and Master Fader.

I took a week or so creating the show on the DL32R before the gig. So it was a big surprise when I could not reconnect. I may have had connection problems at home, but it was not a major problem because I was not at a gig!

musicdan:
Interesting.

Maybe your router wasn't fully up and running before the mixer got its power or Ethernet. I'm sure you had the router turned on first but it may have had a little hang up long enough to miss the mixerl's IP this working fine on power cycle.

MarkDMcBride:
The router was up long enough for the 1st iPad to connect. Problems started happening when attempting to re-connect to the DL32R.

musicdan:
Yes, the iPad will connect to the router but if the router doesn't catch the mixer's IP when it starts up you'll have no connection. The router has to be turned on and booted before the mixer gets power. Even if you do everything perfectly, you're bound to have the odd time where something goes a little wonky and misses the IP. If it happens only once during setup, no big deal. If it drops out during a show and doesn't reconnect, you have bigger issues. If this is one time occurrence, it sounds like everything is working perfectly fine but the millions of 1's and 0's being send on that particular day simply had a brain fart and the router didn't see the mixer's IP when it came online. At each show, I always power up the router and go run a few more cables somewhere else for a minute or two. Very excessive but I give the router loads of time to boot up and get everything in order before putting it to work. There's always other things to do in the meantime. Even if in a rush I always wait a minimum of 15-20 seconds before powering up the board, and I've never had a problem during startup.
If this is an isolated incident, I wouldn't sweat it too much. But be mindful of startup times and get into a routine of waiting to turn the board on. At least then you're sure it isn't the cause should future problem arise.

One time about a year ago I had to power cycle the mixer during a show in between songs because the old router I had at the time had an error and I lost connection to the mixer. After power cycling the router, I had to turn down all amps and powered speakers (the time consuming part) and then after a quick flick of the mixer's power switch off and back on everything worked great for the rest of the night.  That scared me into buying a fancy new 5GHz router :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version