Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Wireless streaming to the DL1608

<< < (2/8) > >>

BlendedMix:

--- Quote from: RoadRanger on May 03, 2013, 12:42:24 PM ---Keep in mind that if you are forced to use the school's wireless network that anyone on it with an iOS device can download the Master Fader or My Fader app and control the DL1608 - it has zero security built-in and normally relies upon being on a secured private wireless network :( .

--- End quote ---

Hi Road...I'm not going to use the school's wireless network.  That was made ABUNDANTLY CLEAR.   :D    However, as someone else suggested, if there's a way to simply set up a network with the Airport Express, keep the SSID hidden, and require devices to enter a password for access...then I'm golden.  I'm far from an expert on that either, but maybe if I work in conjunction with the tech team I can get them on board, and heaven forbid, to actually help a little instead of serving as a roadblock.   :(   

BlendedMix:

--- Quote from: Kevin on May 03, 2013, 04:20:06 PM ---You can set up the Express router so that it doesnt even broadcast its SSID. That way none of the school employees will even know that it exists, so no worries about confusion. Chances are that unless the schools IT folks are more resourceful than most, they wont even know that your DL network exists. You can also set a network password so that even if someone does find out what SSID to use  (eg if someone pokes around on your iPad), they will still need the password before they can access the mixer with another iPad or iPhone.

--- End quote ---

That sounds GREAT, and I hope that's something I can accomplish.  One snag is....they're already aware of the Airport Express.  In fact, it is in the tech groups possession currently, and apparently they've already had a few meetings of the minds to discuss it specifically.   :-\   It took a week just to get the iPad back and all they had to do was register it to the district and put the Master Fader app.  on it.  It's their job...and I get that.  I just have to find a way to mediate the thing and get it working.

I have no concerns about anyone gaining access to the iPad.  It is locked up in a Gator case, and if someone wants to go to that much trouble, it would be to steal the iPad anyway.

Sorry guys...I didn't mean to litter the board with a discussion on my logistical nightmare out of the box.  I appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts on it, and I'm going to sort through them now and hopefully find a way to find a solution.  If nothing else, it works how we have it now...it's just not as slick as it could be. 

BTW...the assistant principle is very well versed on the iPad, and she picked up on using the system VERY quickly.  So I still think we made a good decision, and after EQ'ing the room and getting some levels set, it sounds amazing.     

WK154:
I'm fully aware of the turf battles and NIH factors with people that have been promoted to their incompetency level. The best solution I found is to bypass them with solutions outside of their control. The Audioengine is one such solution and the W3 frees one from the  i* control freaks (Apple). The cost is about $140. Good luck.

BlendedMix:

--- Quote from: WK154 on May 03, 2013, 03:49:12 PM ---Shades of yesteryear! Back in the 60' we ran into the almighty IT God anytime you quoted a "Computer". Most Scientists despised their involvement and we soon learned that there was a simple solution to the problem. We called them "Controllers" and the IT God vanished. Unfortunately your horse is out of the corral so closing the gate won't help. Ideally, what I call XDM   http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=355.0   would have served you well in this situation. That's a set it and forget it and no fingers on environment (front panel lockout). I know it well. I have been using it in this environment for many years (Middle School class room and auditorium). To deal with the streaming audio you may want to turn to the other solution in the 2.4 gig realm Bluetooth or the equivalent. I use a setup that actually takes the output of the DL and sends it to my speakers. Anything to rid myself of CABLES. In your case it would use any stereo output from an iPod etc and sent it to the DL. I have used it in close proximity to a 2.4 gig WIFI with no interference. It will use 2 input channels on the DL but I believe you probably have lots open. The unit will require a power source ie. batteries or AC. Here is their link  http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-W2  . I use their W3 (I'm PC based) you may want to look at their W2. Tell the tech dept. that you found a better solution that doesn't use WIFI, networks etc..

--- End quote ---

So...with this solution for $49.00, I get a transmitter for an Iphone, and a receiver that will take up two ports on the DL?  That's what it would take for the Airport Express anyway, so maybe I'm golden with that setup.

The million dollar question is...can you switch back to the MyFader app. on the iPhone while the music is streaming through the device?   ???

BTW...you completely lost me on that first part about the XDM.  Was that a complete hardware change out?  I read the post it linked to in the other thread, and it was like reading Greek to me.   

BlendedMix:

--- Quote from: WK154 on May 03, 2013, 06:02:04 PM ---I'm fully aware of the turf battles and NIH factors with people that have been promoted to their incompetency level. The best solution I found is to bypass them with solutions outside of their control. The Audioengine is one such solution and the W3 frees one from the  i* control freaks (Apple). The cost is about $140. Good luck.

--- End quote ---

Gotcha...and I looked it up.  The W3 sounds a little safer with the 100' range for an extra $100.00.  I can return the Airport Express and just tell them that we're going to go with the Rapco device.  Then I'll covertly add the AudioEngine device and we're golden!

Thanks for everyone's help! 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version