Author Topic: iPad air tray for my DL 1608  (Read 2599 times)

Yorgaki1

• Padawan
iPad air tray for my DL 1608
« on: December 03, 2015, 01:50:31 AM »
Fellas I occasionally post but want to say how much I love this forum and check it every couple of days for updates! That being said I have an original 30 pin 1608 and have been using my third-generation iPad in docked mode. I need to carry more break music as I am more and more DJIng in between sets and am planning on picking up a 128 GB iPad air or air2 and Apple 30 pin to lightning adapter, and could not remember if my original box had a tray for an iPad Air that was included as I cannot find a tray in the box. In the event the air tray wasn't included originally,Where is my best source for an iPad air or iPad air2 tray? Thanks
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 03:20:40 AM by Yorgaki1 »

Rdmitch

• Knight
Re: iPad air tray for my DL 1608
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 08:37:46 AM »
I doubt a tray was included for any iPad with your original purchase.  If your 1608 was one of the older models they only had the 30 pin connector, at that time there was not even an iPad with a lightning connector made and no iPad Air made. The 1608 lightning came out at a later date.
You can get a replacement kit that installs on your 1608 to convert it from the 30 pin to the Lightning connector. That would work on a regular iPad.  The iPad air2 is thinner and will not be snug in the tray so you would need to giggle it into place and take it off prior to moving the board.  I guess you could shim it in tight with some cloth and then lock it down with the clamp that came with the 1608, but that would be a pain every time you needed to remove the iPad to download music or run wireless.  If you could find a older iPad with the needed memory and upgrade to the Lightning connector on the 1608 you would be in good shape.

The adaptor would work, but remember the iPad will still not slide all the way into the tray with the Adaptor in place and the little cheap adapters don't work well. The real Apple adaptor with the cable on it will work. This is the least costly and easiest solution.

Another option (which is what I do, with the same set up as you) is keep your old iPad docked on the board.
Use your new iPad air2 as a remote (2nd) controller and load all your stuff on it.  Using the Apple Air Express router, you can send music to your board from the remote (your iPad Air) iPad. The apple router has a
1/8 inch output that you can run to an input on the 1608. So what happens is that your iPad Air with all your songs is now wirelessly sending music to the router, the router picks it up and sends the music to an input on the board.  It also allows you to walk the room and change the music, adjust the volume or pause the songs.
It's really pretty simple.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 08:40:08 AM by Rdmitch »
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Yorgaki1

• Padawan
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 01:00:34 PM »
Thanks for your reply. It looks like I will pick up an iPad air as opposed to the newer air2. I perform mainly as a duo playing along with backing tracks. My typical set up is 2 iPads. one runs the mf mixer and the second, which I'm replacing, runs my DJ software either docked or mounted to my microphone stand running audio through a cable back to the mixer. I will sometimes use airplay if I'm just playing light background music but for actual DJ Ing that does not work well as there is some latency and it's difficult to beat mix and alighn tracks and such with the Second or so delay that is inherent with airplay. Is there anywhere to pick up the iPad air tray cheaper than the $40 retail price?

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 09:37:15 PM »
I doubt it unless you can find someone on e-bay selling one. The Mackie accessories tend to stay pretty true to
price.  Keep in mind the tray will fit the new Air ipads....but you most likely will still need to change the 30 pin to a
lightning connector on your 1608 since I don't think you can get an Air, or Air 2 with a 30 pin. 
Your never to old to learn something stupid

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 04:42:51 PM »
but you most likely will still need to change the 30 pin to a
lightning connector on your 1608 since I don't think you can get an Air, or Air 2 with a 30 pin.
Apple's 30 pin/Lightning adapter works fine.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 01:43:30 PM »
For immediate play and remote control, Tango remote works great.  If there is any latency, it's too short for me to notice.  You will need your songs on the docked ipad in itunes but you can use an ipad or iphone to control.  I've been doing this with WiFi, but seems to me it's supposed to work bluetooth also.  Just check their website.  (I carry my own WiFi with the mixer.  Being you're using airplay, I'm assuming you have an airport express too.)  Tango can be set up to stop at the end of every song.  (That's how I use it.)  If that can be done with itunes, I don't know how.