Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Thinking about DL32R for church praise team

<< < (5/8) > >>

gerenm63:

--- Quote from: WK154 on February 03, 2016, 05:40:01 AM ---Ah yes, a sound system designed by committee and politics. I think you may want to get some local qualified outside help on this before cobbling more together. With 200-300 members it cant be much of a budget.
Good Luck

--- End quote ---

That's why I suggested he talk to Charles.... :)

gerenm63:

--- Quote from: Kblue on February 03, 2016, 05:38:03 AM ---
--- Quote from: WK154 on February 03, 2016, 05:08:59 AM ---You also forgot the thousands of churches.

--- End quote ---

I am wondering what mixer they are using for their praise team...

--- End quote ---

I've seen everything from mid-sized Mackies to huge 64 channel Allen & Heath GL3800s. And some have more than one space, with different systems in each.

gerenm63:

--- Quote from: Kblue on February 03, 2016, 04:55:24 AM ---The reason I said better sound is to give some reference point about what I need to those who suggesting polycom or biamp... :mrgreen:
I would have to explain church council why I installed mixer made by a company who builds speech-device like phone and video conf... 

I found compress was very important for live vocal...specially for female singers whose voice becomes so sharp and loud all of sudden at high tone...
And many times, a guest speaker comes too close to condenser mic with loud voice...

--- End quote ---

Biamp is an audio systems company, first and foremost. Telephony is a relatively recent add for them (and, like audio, they do it quite well).
Polycom is a teleconferencing company first, anything else secondary.

sam.spoons:
It seems to me that you need two systems here. A system which works well for simple speech and recorded music, un-supervised and another for the praise band. The former is never going to be a satisfactory solution for a live music based service/event, the latter will never be suitable for unsupervised operation. I'd have a small simple analogue desk (A&H Zed 10 or similar) on stage and a digital desk at the mix position. If budget will allow a digital stagebox would give you plenty of I/O for extra monitors. If budget is tight the only game in town is the Behringer X32/S16 setup (an X32 Compact and single S16 costs around €3000 an A&H Qu24 is €3800 with stagebox).

WK154:

--- Quote from: Kblue on February 03, 2016, 06:19:10 AM ---
--- Quote from: WK154 on February 03, 2016, 04:52:07 AM --- The pre's for example are quite good, no 20 cent op-amps,  a lot more linear and faster with $6 op amps and better matched low noise JFets.

--- End quote ---

I am a retired engineer (not audio engineer) but very familiar with signal-to-noise ratio stuff...
Just wondering if you know typical noise figure (or noise temp) of those low noise JFETs typically used as 1st stage amp ?

--- End quote ---

Ultra low noise Jfets and other input transistors are usually classified in this app by 1/f spec in < 1nV/√Hz . I was involved in the late 70's in a far more demanding preamp app for counting electrons. Input transistors at LN temperatures. Here is a current article that covers the various noise sources of the type I'm talking about.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168900215009766
Granted audio app needs nowhere near this low noise since passive components become the major source of noise and Jfets less of a source. Hence quality low noise resistors, caps etc. play a role in good preamp design. Mackie actually used NPN Epitaxial's 2SA1084 for their first stage in the 1604 series. Onyx pre's varied with different input transistors for different models. A good source for preamp info is That Corp and Jensen transformers. Basic preamp design note from That.

http://www.thatcorp.com/datashts/dn109.pdf

300 ft of cable isn't helping in your case. Check the impedance of each of the twisted pairs and you'll see what I'm talking about. Bill Whitlock covers that nicely in his app notes on CMRR. What Engineering field did you practice?

P.S. If your background noise is in the 60 - 80 dBSPL range none of the above matters since it is lost in the noise (pun intended). Church app is much quieter hopefully.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version