Author Topic: iPad mini 2 and K&M holder issue  (Read 2745 times)

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
iPad mini 2 and K&M holder issue
« on: March 13, 2016, 03:31:32 PM »
I have just bought an iPad mini 2 and the appropriate K&M holder to go with it. Putting the iPad into the holder is a slightly 'robust' process as the holder is very secure. The second time I used it I managed to break the glass digitiser on my iPad mini. On close inspection I discovered the claws on the holder to be such that they inevitably put pressure on the glass 4-5 mm from the edge of the iPad screen as you insert it and this was what led to the breakage. The K&M holder for the larger iPads has a chamfer on the inside of the claws which prevents this happening but they didn't have the foresight to carry this over to the smaller holder. So, if you have an iPad mini 2 and a K&M holder use extreme care when putting the iPad into it (or, as I have done now, belatedly, chamfer the inside of the claws).

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
Re: iPad mini 2 and K&M holder issue
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 04:52:21 PM »
I am sure sorry to read this,,, I too had a K&M iPad mic stand thingie and it was brutal getting that iPad to clip into it without breaking the glass, I know exactly what you mean.

I would contact the dealer where you bought it and also contact K&M. K&M makes the best products out there and they are a great company.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 05:29:32 PM »
I have been in touch with K&M, initially they said that the holder doesn't fit the iPad mini 4 so I pointed out that I have an iPad mini 2......... waiting for their reply to that one.

I agree that K&M have a great rep for quality (and I have a few of their products), this is my first experience of their customer care so the juries' out for now.

I do have two of the full sized iPad holders and they are fine, being bigger then are a bit bendier but more importantly, they don't put any pressure on the screen when you insert the iPad as the claws have a chamfered inner face unlike the one for the mini.

I don't expect any joy regarding the cost of having my screen replaced, with with K&M or Thomann and, now I've modded the claws I can't reasonably send it back. But, having modded it, I don't expect any trouble in future (though I will be more careful when putting the iPad in the holder).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 05:31:18 PM by sam.spoons »

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 05:32:51 PM »
my experience with this issue was with the "then" normal size older iPads.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 05:58:28 PM »
The bigger holders are secure (to say the least) but I haven't found fitting an iPad into them without breaking the screen a problem, actually I've been very happy with them. The mini holder OTOH is way stiffer and, combined with the profile of the claws, definitely well dodgy.