Author Topic: Mackie get your release out before the IPv6 lockout!  (Read 3945 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Mackie get your release out before the IPv6 lockout!
« on: July 22, 2015, 06:36:03 PM »
Yes Apple announced at WWDC15 that all apps must pass IPv6 compatibility or it won't be accepted into the App store once they release iOS 9.  ;D Fasten your seat-belts for an interesting ride through the unplanned transition to IPv6. Not only is IPv6 not backward compatible with IPv4, first shot in the foot, but there is no single recommended transition approach for the transition, second shot in the foot. So now you have a transition mess with a bunch of incompatible solutions to get to IPv6.  ::) Google has already refused to support DHCPv6 and the list goes on. Where did I put that flyswatter, here come those Kamikaze fruit flies again.   :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 03:25:52 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Michael Welter

• Knight
Re: Mackie get your release out before the IPv6 lockout!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 08:20:17 PM »
You lost me completely. What is...

WWDC15
IPv6
IPv4
DSCPv6

:eek:
Mackie Junkie

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 09:56:04 PM »
You lost me completely. What is...

WWDC15
IPv6
IPv4
DSCPv6

:eek:
Not to worry if your not an early adopter.
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 09:46:12 AM »
I've had devices that are IPv6 compatible for years.  Haven't had one use it yet. For those who don't know  TCP/IP stands for Transport Control Protocol/Internet Protocol.  IPv4 is the Internet version we've known for years.  IPv6 expands it greatly.  I think v6 gives every square yard 3 internet addresses on the entire globe.  We've been nursing IPv4 for years trying to expand it without eliminating it.  Really running out of v4 Internet addresses.  Don't know if the DL series of mixers is IPv6 aware.   Also don't know about my airport express, but I'd be shocked if Apple hasn't been preparing for this time for at least a decade.  My 5 year old Macbook Pro has been ready since I bought it.  Not sure how to check my ipads.  Will look into my airport express when I get home.  Pretty sure the devices will check to see what works and use the correct IP version automatically.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 12:38:09 PM »
My airport express and 2 x airport extremes have iPv6 as an option in the Airport Utility. In fact my main router, an Airport Extreme is showing an iPv6 error as I type ::)

Update... I've been having slow response to some sites (Facebook, the behringer forums, apple and a couple of others) sometimes needing to retry several times before they'd finish loading so I thought I'd disabling iPv6 on the AE. Result? All those sites load ultra quick again!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 12:52:26 PM by sam.spoons »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 12:09:59 AM »
So much for being IPv4 ready, most are a marketing gimmick. Glad you got speed back, so you'll post more  ;)  For those that want to get up to speed on IPv6 here is a good site.
http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_InternetProtocolVersion6IPv6IPNextGenerationIPng.htm
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 12:12:22 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 07:26:11 AM »
A even more interesting part would be the Apple IPv6 test process for the App store, since the DL part of the IPxx needs the actual mixer to be tested. So is Mackie sending Apple a DL for verification? Maybe IPv6 verification is only for Internet oriented apps not private networks?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 07:31:24 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
  • Wherever you go, there you are
    • Hot As A Pepper Party & Event Band
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 08:04:28 PM »
I work in IT...   For a while now, Microsoft Server has been getting root hints for DNS and putting both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses in.
The NICs default to IPv6 addresses.  My firewall (Cisco) supports it.
But my ISP (Charter Business Cable) does NOT without using IPv6 tunnel stuff, like offered from Hurricane Electric.

What does all this mean?  Yes, it's coming, no you can't stop it.   No, you cannot be backwards compatible.   

Do you want to remain connected?  Then accept our new IPv6 overlords....

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 09:15:42 PM »
I suspect my issues may have been with the specific website's handling of iPv6 as it was only ever those three sites (apple, Facebook and behringer.com) that were troublesome. My ISP is consistently in the UK top three for speed so it's probably not them and the AE was happy with all the other websites I frequent on a regular basis (including this one).

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
  • Wherever you go, there you are
    • Hot As A Pepper Party & Event Band
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 01:23:15 PM »
You could be right.  Craigslist was one several of my clients were complaining about over the course of a week and I believe it may have been DNS related with IPv6 addresseses being given in query to the the clients DNS servers on windows...   They would try to go to www.craigslist.com, the DNS server would look up the addy, and since they were using IPv4 to the outside world, it wouldn't get past their router.   Their router and their Isp didn't know how to handle it.

To "fix" the issue, we turned off internal IPv6 on most, and used tunneling on the rest.

The bigger businesses all have the resources to handle it.  It's the smaller guys who don't even have a router that works :/