Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Help Feedback!!

<< < (2/4) > >>

sam.spoons:
+1

However, the first thing to try is a different mic, wireless mics can be a law unto themselves so try a known, wired mic instead at least 'till you have identified the problem.

Does the problem occur when, 1/ foldback is up with no mains, 2/ mains up with no fb, 3/ only when both mains and fb up? Try all combinations to isolate the problem.

You say it's an empty bar, so possibly an echoey room and you don't say where the DLM12's are pointing, towards or away from the band?

You mention the feedback being related to having other mics open, this is a well documented effect, the more open mics the more potential for feedback but does the feedback continue if you mute the singers mic with the others still open?

Jerrylee:
Not too be rude, even though most of you will take it this way, there are plenty of ways of ringing out feedback. Sounds like your issue is user related. Do some web research and even check YouTube. You will find hundreds of articles and lots of videos of how to accomplish this. They talk about lots of things from mic and speaker placement to ringing out with eqs. Why hire a sound man when tons of them have posted tutorials on how to fix your problem. This is why it was also suggested to Mackie to add parametric eqs to the outs. It make ringing out feedback a lot easier than using geqs. And you can really zero in on your problem frequencies. Also after a while of ringing out feedback you will start to hear what frequencies are causing problems. At that point zeroing in on them becomes much faster.

Trshot:

--- Quote from: Jerrylee on April 12, 2013, 11:07:12 PM ---Not too be rude, even though most of you will take it this way, there are plenty of ways of ringing out feedback. Sounds like your issue is user related. Do some web research and even check YouTube. You will find hundreds of articles and lots of videos of how to accomplish this. They talk about lots of things from mic and speaker placement to ringing out with eqs. Why hire a sound man when tons of them have posted tutorials on how to fix your problem. This is why it was also suggested to Mackie to add parametric eqs to the outs. It make ringing out feedback a lot easier than using geqs. And you can really zero in on your problem frequencies. Also after a while of ringing out feedback you will start to hear what frequencies are causing problems. At that point zeroing in on them becomes much faster.

--- End quote ---

Agreed JL,
We need more info here....Ampli, it's not monitor feedback it's the mains, he said mon's were off.
The first thing you need to do is isolate the channel/s causing feedback. You mentioned,"it seemed like the feedback was when all the other mics came on in conjunction with the singers mic".  Was it all the mic's or the wireless mic feeding back? Where are the input gain/s on the suspect channel/s?

Kevin:

--- Quote ---The first thing you need to do is isolate the channel/s causing feedback.
--- End quote ---

Yes, you can usually use the solo bus for this. Solo each of your mic channels. One will usually have much louder feedback tone than the others. that one is your problem. Use headphones for now. For future, get your self an attenuator cable like this so you can run to solo bus to an RTA on your iPad.
http://www.kvconnection.com/product-p/km-iphone-mic42-a22.htm

I agree with Sam on eliminating the wireless mic first to see if that stops the problem and then work from there.

And check batteries in your wireless and/or anything else that uses them

Good luck.

bcbeak:
Last week I reported feedback trouble with my first rehearsal. This continued on Friday night at our first gig.
We could not get our lead singer mic loud enough to hear over drums and loud guitar without feedback. I rode
the fader all night with him (I'm supposed to be playing instruments not running sound) and we limped through the
night. This was perhaps the worst PA sound disaster I can remember.

I tried everything I could think of to ... flat eq, no eq, no effects, no dynamics .. etc. but I could not solve the problem. We
managed to get a little more volume by adding one of our floor monitors to the mains.

Later at home, I spent several hours working with the board  (again I am no sound guy) .. and I found what I think is a bug.
During the gig .. I could not get to the dynamics page from the EQ screen for the LR bus.  No matter how I slid my fingers, right left
up down, one two three fingers .. the EQ screen would not take me to the dynamics. All of a sudden at home .. I got it to work after about 50
tries .. and I found that the Compressor was on .. with a high gain setting. This most likely was the source of the feedback right?

I am going to try again on Thursday at rehearsal with a zeroed board, focusing only only getting a good loud microphone for the lead singer.
I have read all of your posts on "ringing out feedback" ... this is over my head and beyond the ability of time that I have for setup. I am a musician
that needs an hour to setup my own gear and tune. I do not have time to ring monitors for an hour .. that is why we bought this PA setup .. because
it was supposed to be easy, portable trouble-free and set and forget. 

I have never had this level of frustration with gear. Even cheap gear which although never perfect .. can usually perform as expected with getting
a PA volume for mics up quickly and easily.  (i.e. turn the thing on ... and slide the channels up) I am expecting to get some help from a friend, but If that rehearsal does not go well ... this mixer will be on ebay Friday.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version