Author Topic: Advice Request for Migrating from DL-1608 to DL32R  (Read 17720 times)

MrDOS

• Padawan
    • Weekend hobby site
Re: Advice Request for Migrating from DL-1608 to DL32R
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 03:35:51 PM »
I, too do not wish to bring a laptop for recording when I can get it right onto the WD Passport that's already connected for break music.
Speaking of which, yes, you must stop (not pause) the break music in order to resume recording the next set.
The multiwav files are a bit of a pain in that you have to convert them (I use Wave Agent which leaves the original miltiwavs on the external drive), but it does not add all that much time to the mixing process.
Since getting the DL32R in January, I've already recorded more live multitrack shows than in 5 years of my old system with Alesis HD24 (does anyone want to buy a 16 ch 1/4" TRS snake? :) ), just because of the convenience.
Live sound/recording engineer, videographer at WoodlawnSound.com
SQL Server DBA
Bass Player

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 04:14:39 PM »
I also really don’t want to haul any more gear to the gig than I have to. With the 1608 at least I can get a basic 2 track mix down of a performance. The recording feature is not a big deal for me. For a quick one off I can use the iPad and my Alesis iO Dock with a pair of condenser mics XY’d for a live stereo recording. 

The DL32 does give you a lot more recording versatility, even with its little quirks like multiwav files for more serious recordings and it’s better to go through the board than using a stereo mic pair to capture that rehearsal, or do a quick sound check before the concert etc. I’m glad Mackie expanded on the recording feature for the DL32. Let’s hope this filters down to any new revisions of the 806/1608 platforms.
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

JMc

• Padawan
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2015, 08:45:49 PM »
Post show wrap up and a couple of new questions...

First off, just about everything went off without a hitch, both Friday and Saturday nights.  Absolutely love the DL32R and spent the previous week familiarizing myself with the controls that I knew I would need and got comfortable with the USB routing tab/window so I could record to only the tracks that I was going to use.  My only real complain is minor, but it's something that Mackie should have better engineered...  The grab handles on the DL32R will not clear the cover of the rack I use, your industry standard six space SKG.  Come on, guys...  If they had drilled the holes for the handles a little closer in, there wouldn't have been that clearance issue.  Fortunately, the handles ARE easily removed, but I was annoyed that after securing the 32R to the rack mounts, I had to remove it again to get to the back of the rack ears and remove the grab handles.  If I was moving it in and out of racks frequently, this would be a real PIA, but fortunately, my DL is going to live in that rack, so I really don't need the handles anyway - but they looked nice.

There was only one puzzler that I was unable to resolve.  Our drummer has a powered sub that he enjoys using and up until now, he's been running a split off one of the main outs to feed the signal to it.  I thought it would be preferable to give him his own AUX feed, so I chose AUX 12 and fed his kick drum and Returns 1&2 to feed the intermission music into it.  Even though in the AUX Master, I saw great levels on the meter going into AUX 12, they were not reaching his powered sub from the mixer.  I tried switching from pre to post, etc. in the AUX master, but nothing...  He tried a different cable.  Nope.  He unplugged from AUX 12, plugged into AUX 13 and boom, there was plenty of signal reaching his sub.  What did I do wrong?  Or do I have a physical fault in my AUX 12 output?  To my mind, if I see that the AUX MASTER on 12 is turned up and I am seeing a healthy signal on the meter for that channel, that tells me that signal should be reaching the AUX 12 output on the mixer, no?

I recorded with the HDD and the entire show created 4 multi-channel .WAV files.   All the recordings turned out fantastic.  Nice levels and outstanding sound.  This was one of my main motivators to upgrade from the DL1608 to the DL32R.

The other question that came up is...  Regarding the AUX outputs...  Are the gain and trim at the top of those channels independent from the gain and trim for the main L-R outs?  Thanks again for all the help and cheers.

Topsøe

• Knight
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2015, 09:59:08 PM »
Q1 in the default show output 12 is matrix 2 out , so you have to change the routing to aux 12

Q2 the gain and trim (and eq comp and gain if not set to pre dsp) are global you can get to them from aux view but they are global  :)
If in doubt ask

JMc

• Padawan
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2015, 02:06:41 AM »
Q1 in the default show output 12 is matrix 2 out , so you have to change the routing to aux 12

Q2 the gain and trim (and eq comp and gain if not set to pre dsp) are global you can get to them from aux view but they are global  :)

Ah, thank you.  At this point, I haven't even begun to try and figure out or understand what the Matrix is or does...  Obviously, I have much, much more to learn and absorb with Master Fader.

I also think I am using the sub mix group incorrectly.  I assigned all the backing vocal mics to sub 1 in order to raise or lower them all in balance once I had the levels all set, but raising or lowering the gain on the sub 1 mixer didn't seem to have any effect on the volume levels at all.  So, there's something else I need to figure out.  BTW, I just want to thank everyone again who has been pitching in with answers and advice.  It has been a huge help to me this week.  Your time and talents are greatly appreciated.  Cheers.

Weogo

• Knight
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2015, 03:01:00 AM »
Hi JMc,

For using subgroups:
Go to each vocal channel you want in your vocal subgroup.
UN-CHECK each channel from the LR Main mix(make it white instead of gray), and then CHECK each of them in the subgroup you want to use(gray instead of white).
By default, all of the subgroups are assigned to the LR Main mix, but you can check to make sure.

Good health,  Weogo

JMc

• Padawan
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2015, 05:50:04 AM »
For using subgroups:
Go to each vocal channel you want in your vocal subgroup.
UN-CHECK each channel from the LR Main mix(make it white instead of gray), and then CHECK each of them in the subgroup you want to use(gray instead of white).

AHHHH.  Now I understand.  Thank you very much! ;)  It doesn't appear that the individual faders for the channel assigned to the sub move up and down with the submix level...  Should I keep the submix set at unity gain as a starting point?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 06:24:25 AM by JMc »

Weogo

• Knight
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2015, 12:47:15 PM »
Hi JMc,

Yes, unity is the place to start.
In analog world, if you send a whole bunch of hot signals to a Group it can get up to clipping level and you back it off a bit.
I think clipping a group is still possible in digi world?

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2015, 04:46:56 PM »
I have noticed that when using post fader in an Aux, the channel gain should be at least at unity.  (0 db if you can read that.)  I've taken to running the Aux faders the whole way up for post fader.  Just an observation.

Topsøe

• Knight
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2015, 07:53:24 PM »
I have noticed that when using post fader in an Aux, the channel gain should be at least at unity.  (0 db if you can read that.)  I've taken to running the Aux faders the whole way up for post fader.  Just an observation.

That depends on where your channelfaders are :)
If in doubt ask

JMc

• Padawan
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 12:16:24 AM »
New question.  What's the quickest, easiest way to send all the input signals to the aux buss, without sending anything out through the L-R mains.  I've had a request by a sub musician who wants to be able to set his monitor levels in his assigned AUX output, but without putting anything through the mains except for maybe the intermission music.  What's the easiest way to do this?

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2015, 12:51:15 AM »
You could deselect all channels, except the intermission music channels, from the Main outputs. You would do this in the routing screen of each channel.

It must be a pretty boring show for the audience.  ;)
Mackie Junkie

JMc

• Padawan
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2015, 01:45:32 AM »
You could deselect all channels, except the intermission music channels, from the Main outputs. You would do this in the routing screen of each channel.
Ugh, that's too much hassle.  Unless there is an easier way than accessing each channel individually, I'm going to tell the guy to just deal with it and adjust his monitors like the rest of us. 

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2015, 01:48:56 AM »
It would be one channel at a time. But it still wouldn't take more than a minute. Go into the routing screen of channel 1, deselect Main LR, then swipe left to channel 2, and so on.
Mackie Junkie

Topsøe

• Knight
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2015, 05:34:41 AM »
Mute the mains while he is setting up his mix
If in doubt ask