Author Topic: Phonic acapela  (Read 23546 times)

Tnelson494

• Padawan
Phonic acapela
« on: July 30, 2013, 11:49:28 PM »
So I get my new musicians friend catalog and page 146 has the new Phonic Acapela digital mixer ipad controlled DL1608 clone list for 749.99. I get a bit excited hey something new in the market so figured I'd do a little research on it as the catalog doesn't have much info (just that its basically 16 channels with 4 of them being combo XLR/TRS jacks and 48 kHz sample rate Ect. ) and there is nothing out there on it even on the phonic web site looks like they have a picture but no mention of it and nothing about it on the musician friend web site. Slightly irritating as the ipad app looks to have sub groups? The picture of the mixer ipad looks like its running the Phonic IS16 any one know anything about this ? I haven't looked hard just brief search on Google but still seems like there should be some mention of it oh it also says it can be controlled via android tablet  :D

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Phonic acapela
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 12:05:45 AM »
I still have my Phonic Summit. An iPad control only version of the new IS16 is definitely of interest !

Tnelson494

• Padawan
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 01:40:28 AM »
I just wish I could find info for it can't believe they have it in the catalog but no info on any web site. does it record, are there subgroups? I like the idea of android capable operation and not being tied to apple but past that no idea

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 02:02:39 AM »
I just wish I could find info for it can't believe they have it in the catalog but no info on any web site. does it record, are there subgroups? I like the idea of android capable operation and not being tied to apple but past that no idea
I'd suspect it is exactly an IS16 with no control surface so would have all the features and capability of that mixer. In talking to them about the IS16 in the past I know they were planning on making the app in HTML5 so that if would run on the iPad, Android, and PC. Be aware that the S16 had no HPF's unless you give up one of the four bands so that could still be a minus vs the DL1608. The DL1608 has killer HPF's :) . But I think you can also give up another band to have a true LFP, which the DL1608 lacks :( .

Tnelson494

• Padawan
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 03:07:15 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Road just curious if that thing is really out with no buzz whatsoever and if it is will it affect the DL progress timeline at all maybe step it up a notch :)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 03:13:11 AM »
What is the item # in that catalog? You might try typing that in the search on MF.

Tnelson494

• Padawan
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 10:30:05 AM »
H98807 tried that too no luck oh well sure it will pop up somewhere soon

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 07:34:18 PM »
I'd suspect it is exactly an IS16 with no control surface so would have all the features and capability of that mixer. In talking to them about the IS16 in the past I know they were planning on making the app in HTML5 so that if would run on the iPad, Android, and PC. Be aware that the S16 had no HPF's unless you give up one of the four bands so that could still be a minus vs the DL1608. The DL1608 has killer HPF's :) . But I think you can also give up another band to have a true LFP, which the DL1608 lacks :( .
The IS16 has HPF as well as a ton more dynamic control per channel (25 vs. 2 for Mackie). The DL isn't in the same league as the IS16. More in line with the X32 and until recently above $2000. I just noticed a sales price of $1499.99 which also includes rack mount hardware and WiFi dongle.  That puts it in direct competition with the DL and all its extra cost add-ons. To me that's a no brainer. If the mystery mixer from Phonic is in the $800 range with similar capabilities as the IS16 it's game over for Mackie. I own several kit from them and they all work as advertised. I would be pi...d as well if a company would discontinue a product I bought in 2yrs. RR. I guess that's to be expected these days. Be interested in your reason for not using the S16. Is it the iPad functionality?
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 07:53:50 PM »
Be interested in your reason for not using the S16. Is it the iPad functionality?
Yes, great sounding mixer otherwise. the on-board 'verbs are studio quality. I do question their almost non-existent US presence and lack of responsivity to their customers. They have a forum set up that they stopped responding on - before that they showed up every 3 months or so - and they finally admitted on FaceBook they abandoned it. Guess they lost the person with the password to close it or somethin' - pretty whack IMO:
https://getsatisfaction.com/phonic
EDIT> Actually looks like they have someone there now telling folks to go elsewhere in broken English :facepalm:.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 07:59:16 PM by RoadRanger »

Tnelson494

• Padawan
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 09:31:11 PM »
Well I down loaded that IS16 IPAD app to see what is was like seems slightly more complicated then Master Fader and if theres compressors on board they had no control in the app there was an assign group page but I didn't understand the routing and with out the hardware impossible self diagnose no control of the effects parameters there was an EQ on the groups but not on the AUX so I don't know if in fact that is the right app or just he control for the big mixer I like he fact hat it had tabs on top so ou could go to an all group view, all AUX mains view. But you could only view 8 channels at a time (have a tab for first 8 then a tab for 9-16) no tap button at all like I said no control over effects at all other then routing and level and type.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 10:12:56 PM »
Sounds like they have a few personnel problems (hiring sales and support earlier this year). My kits PAA3 and USB to SPDIF didn't require much help. Software was OK. Caution on the no brainer. Sounds like another outfit headed in that direction "M".
When in doubt KISS

Schmeed

• Initiate
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 10:46:25 PM »
The IS16 has HPF as well as a ton more dynamic control per channel (25 vs. 2 for Mackie). The DL isn't in the same league as the IS16. More in line with the X32 and until recently above $2000. I just noticed a sales price of $1499.99 which also includes rack mount hardware and WiFi dongle.  That puts it in direct competition with the DL and all its extra cost add-ons. To me that's a no brainer. If the mystery mixer from Phonic is in the $800 range with similar capabilities as the IS16 it's game over for Mackie. I own several kit from them and they all work as advertised. I would be pi...d as well if a company would discontinue a product I bought in 2yrs. RR. I guess that's to be expected these days. Be interested in your reason for not using the S16. Is it the iPad functionality?

Can you share where you found that deal on the IS16?

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums

Schmeed

• Initiate
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 12:49:44 AM »
Well I down loaded that IS16 IPAD app to see what is was like seems slightly more complicated then Master Fader and if theres compressors on board they had no control in the app there was an assign group page but I didn't understand the routing and with out the hardware impossible self diagnose no control of the effects parameters there was an EQ on the groups but not on the AUX so I don't know if in fact that is the right app or just he control for the big mixer I like he fact hat it had tabs on top so ou could go to an all group view, all AUX mains view. But you could only view 8 channels at a time (have a tab for first 8 then a tab for 9-16) no tap button at all like I said no control over effects at all other then routing and level and type.

I just downloaded the app and, suffice to say, it's bush league compared to Master Fader.  Looks like a high school app project that was thrown together overnight.  It has a long way to go.