Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

First Gig with DL1608 - Pointers Anyone?

(1/10) > >>

Sanchinguy:
Hiya,

New here.  My band is going to be playing a gig next weekend at a place we've never been before and it'll be our first gig with the 1608.  I'm the bass player, and following the unwritten law, also own the PA and run sound.

My system is really basic - JBL PRX subs and tops, passive monitors powered by by a crown 1500 fed by an ART HQ231 (that I use to find/cut feedback).  I also have a Lexicon mx200 that I can use.

The band is 5 pieces - 2 electric guitars, 1 acoustic guitar (to a DI to the board), bass, drums, female lead vocal, 4 male vocals, keys.  We won't get to sound check the system until the day of the gig.  I've tried to load the obvious presets, and set some basic reverb (short plate) and delay on the vocals, and tweaked the preset EQs a bit based on my experience with the group.

The bar/restaurant is fairly small, no dance floor, and is carpeted.  The stage is very small (~9x11) and is surrounded by a 2' high solid wall.  The owner has mentioned that they don't want us to be "too loud".  Due to space limits and volume restraints, I'm planning on leaving the subs home.  My bass rig and drummers kick will be plenty loud.

I'm wondering if any of my more experienced brethren here have any pointers or tips I can use to get closer to an acceptable mix in the time we'll have.

Many thanks,

Sanchinguy

Wynnd:
First time out with anything, take a back up.  (In this case a mixer.)  You probably won't need it, but it's a good habit, especially with new equipment that you haven't had time to really run through the ringer.  My personal suggestion is to get the DL's 31 band EQ set to flatten the speaker response on the FOH and also the appropriate Aux EQ on the monitors.  If there's a peak at 500 htz, cut that frequency back.  You can't do this well at the restaurant, but you can do it at home using pink noise and an RTA. (Do the FOH separate from the monitors.)   Systems that are set very flat allow the mics to be started at all flat while minimizing feedback. Channel EQ is the wrong place to control feedback.  It is the right place to slightly modify the sound characteristics.  (Little goes a long way.)  Monitors should be prefader and possibly post esp.  (The DL has both options.) 

Wynnd:
Also, HPF all vocal mics.  I use 100 htz, but 75 htz works too.  (Exception is if you have a bass singer.)  Piano/synth should be flat.  Organ on a separate channel should be LPF at 5000 htz.  (Organ only.  If you have organ and piano/synth sounds on the same channel, go with the piano set up.)  Compression is a personal thing.  Like anything new, use it carefully.)

Wynnd:
I really can't think of anything that doesn't apply to any good mixer.  If any in the band also have an ios device, make sure they have Master fader or My fader installed at least as a backup.  They all have to be the same versions because a version change will push out a firmware update.  You don't want that to happen at a show.  And you will want time to test any changes.  And play with new features.

Sanchinguy:
Thanks!  This is exactly what I was looking for.

The analog mixer (1642VLZ3) will be in the van.  I already set the hpf on the vocals to ~100hz but hadn't thought about My Fader on my iPhone - great point!  I'll be using pink noise/RTA to sort out the response curve today.

Any tips on initial gain settings? Or on how to get my band mates to actually sing/play during sound check the way they do when performing? ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version