Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

First Gig with DL1608 - Pointers Anyone?

<< < (6/10) > >>

Sanchinguy:
Thanks.  Entirely self-taught and learning through a series of unfortunate (and fortunate) events.  As a band, we're only ok.  Although it sounds arrogant as hell to say it, musically I'm probably the strongest person in the band.  We like what we're doing and hope our enthusiasm and our music together will be enough.  These people are friends, we're all old farts (I'm the second youngest and I'm 58) and no one is harboring any juvenile rock star illusions.  Well, maybe except for the lead guitarist (some things never change, after all!)

I should probably find a better band if I want to become a better bassist, but this is still fun....

PeterKorg:
A good place to start is the presets for each instrument and vox, but you will have work these to suit each one, HPF was one of the things I had to learn about on the vocals. Lead guitarist is one one side of stage and as the amp needs to be fairly loud I off set L/R to compensate.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on

stevegarris:
Be careful of the presets. I think they employ comps & gates, which you should turn off until you determine the need.

sam.spoons:

--- Quote from: stevegarris on March 19, 2014, 10:02:13 PM ---Be careful of the presets. I think they employ comps & gates, which you should turn off until you determine the need.

--- End quote ---

A good point, they do and I usually turn both off to start with. The eq on presets is a very good starting point but the dynamics need big tweaks for each individual voice/instrument (they are, of course, very dependent on preamp gain too).

Keyboard Magic:
Sanchinguy;

I have to admit to you that even after all my years of playing gigs (I'm 59 and started playing pro when I was 18)  I still get butterflies before the event. This is even more so with a new piece of gear, such as the DL. Once I start the gig I start to enjoy what I am doing, either playing keys or running sound. Of course I always set up the new gear at home to make sure it powers up, works as expected and to make sure I know what I am doing with said new gear before the show. Hopefully to avoid an embarrassing moment or two.  :facepalm:

Some wise pro that I once did a gig with said to me "If you don't get butterflies you don't perform to your potential"

I hope that my nerves mean that I do well every time? Anyway, to take my own advice and to reiterate to you, try to have fun just the same, even though you may just have to try a little, 'cause it does pay off!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version