Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

anyone recording multitrack with DL32R ?

(1/7) > >>

chrishooksbass:
anyone recording multitrack with DL32R ? if so, could you tell me your pros and cons of using the DL32R. Thanks!

dpdan:
Hi Chris,
I have done two multitrack recordings with the DL32R, one with the USB hard drive, and one with my Mac laptop running Digital Performer.
Both produced great results, unfortunately though for me, when you record directly to the hard drive, the files on the drive are not individual mono wave files as expected.
Instead, they are multichannel wave files, and each wave file has 32 mono files in it, so a third party app like Wave Agent or better, RME WAV File Batch Processor will need
to be used to de-interleave the multichannel wave files. Of course if you record to a laptop or other computer, you would set up 32 individual mono channels.... far less hassel.

chrishooksbass:
thanks so much for the thorough response,
 not much documentation of people using the DL32R as a recorder.
is there a time limit on recording (other than hdd capacity) ?
for instance a 24 track  recording using the usb to hdd method to record an hour  or  hour and half set, will the DL32R operate  smoothly?

how does the usb to computer interface work?
does your mac see the DL32R as a sound card?  does it allow easy patching from your daw?
i realize the dante card will add functionality to using the Dl32 as an interface, but i'm interested in the usb operation and can't seem to find anyone talking about it. plenty of info on lagging faders etc... but not much on the meat and potatoes of this mixer..

thanks again for the great info

/

pti:
I've been using the DL32R to record rehearsals and one show so far. Hard drive space seems to be the only limit on recording time, but the DL32R will create a new multitrack .WAV after every 2GB or so of recording (FAT16 max file size?). If you are recording quite a few tracks simultaneously, it can start a new file a few times during an hour set.

I am still looking for an efficient way of stitching things back together in Logic when this happens to get a contiguous recording. So far, I've been zooming in the timeline, repositioning, zooming in, repositioning, etc. until the transition between the two segments doesn't produce any audio glitches.

For rehearsals, I start and stop around each song, with each song resulting in one multi-track WAV file. I just drag those into Logic one after the other with a small gap.

FYI, Logic and Garageband handle the multitrack WAVs fine without need for a separate program to separate them into individual per-track WAVs.

dpdan:
Hi Chris,
there is no recording time limit other than the hard drive space.
The DL32R runs smooth with a four hour recording test and it was all there and clean.

Apple Preferences/sound

DL32R shows up and is available as an audio interface in Digital Performer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version