Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Jumping into the DL1608 Phenomenon

<< < (3/17) > >>

Keyboard Magic:
Thank you all for the warm welcomes and encouraging comments on owning and operating the DL1608  :)

It's still not here yet, but fingers, eyes and toes crossed. (Can't do to much work in this state though!) I have everything in place; Airport Express Router, 2 ipad 2's (??) the latest iteration of Master Fader (2.1.1) on both ipads, the Airport Utility App and lots of practice on Master Fader.

I am fairly experienced  ;) using analog mixers (real moveable faders even) and for my age fairly comfortable using iOS devices, so there shouldn't be too much of a learning curve, hopefully, using the DL in a live setting. I'm still going to bring along my little Alan and Heath Z10 for backup just in case I or the DL craps out inadvertently until I'm completely comfortable with it.

I am so looking forward to using my new DL and the thought of being able to do a sound check/tune the room without running 2 miles back and forth from the mixing desk before and during a concert!!  x( My old legs will thank me, I think!

I am also looking forward to sharing ideas, comments and thoughts with everyone here about the DL, Mackie in general and any other cool stuff related to the industry.

CIAO for NOW !!! 8)

PS: It's soooo nice to be labeled a Youngling after joining up  ;D

Nottoodeaf:
Hey JL.  Have you had the opportunity to use those inline impedance matching transformers?  Obviously, you don't get the Midas preamp, but otherwise I suppose you get remote control of the input gain and after assigning, the same capabilities as any other channel.  I ask because I used to do this with an analog board line input when in a pinch for more channels and found that I had to significantly boost the input gain and would pick up a little noise.  Sound quality suffered a bit due to the lack of a good preamp as well.

I have been on the edge of getting a Rack, but have considered that I would be out another $800 for an S-16 as soon as I needed extra channels.  The prospect of squeezing another 6 channels out of the Rack has gotten my attention.  Even without utilizing the aux inputs on the Rack I gain an aux out and an input channel over my DL....I now have to use those on my DL to use an external reverb that sounds decent.

Jerrylee:
Yes I have used them and they work perfectly. The signal is loud and clean. I bought 4 because the last two lines are dedicated to my airplay. Just so you know you still get the same gain when you assign to a regular channel. The aux in gains are different than the xlr Midas preamp gains. When you assign the aux in to a channel the gain structure changes to match the aux in gain structure. The xlr gains are analogue for -12 to +60 db. The aux ins are apparently a digital gain to +18. If you crank it with a low signal, and a 1/4 in, there will be some noise. But the same can go for any 1/4 in. That's why I use the adapter for all xlrs.

If you have the app, and look at the gains on the aux's, you may see the same as the xlr ins. You'll also see phantom power too. Obviously the 1/4 ins don't have phantom. That's only in the demo mode. So it may get you confused.

PeterKorg:
Hi KM, welcome to the forum, I don't post that often but a read them all, you will soon get used to the variety of characters, including the grumpy ones (mentioning no names.....). It is however an excellent forum, for learning all those tricks and tips.

I have had the DL 1608 for about 16 months, and done about 50 gigs with it, so far never failed. So I would recommend d this to anyone. We use all 16 channels and all 6 aux. 5 for in ear monitors, and 1 for drummers BumChum.

I recall a previous show, similar size venue, I am always pleased when almost everything is there, just a little tweaking, Drums always take the longest, but using the gate I usually get them done in 5 or 10 minutes.

I am also Keyboard player and mix from the stage

Keyboard Magic:
It's great to read all the impressions and experiences from DL owners. They help you decide whether to buy or not, there are excellent tips to make the experience better, problem solving help and they make you feel as if you are not the only one with issues.

I did a lot of research into the DL, reading reviews from all over the net. It has taken me over a year to finally pop for one. For myself personally it meets my current needs. Yes, there are things about the DL that could be improved, but it was available now. The Line 6 StageScape looked really cool, but the price for it here in Toronto was out of reach for me. (about $1000.00 more) Of course if the DL crapped out at a major gig more than once, I would be very upset too, especially if the service from Mackie wasn't up to par.(haven't experienced their service dept. yet) I would seriously consider getting rid of it pretty fast, just like any other gear that was unreliable.

As I mentioned in previous posts, I don't have it yet, but when it's here I'm giving it a chance. The positive reviews for me out weighed the negatives. I've had Behringer gear and have had no issues. ( just lucky I guess) I've had Mackie with good results as well. Just like in the computer world, hard drives have a MTBF (mean time before failure) rate. If it powers up right out of the box it will likely run for a long time. I know, that doesn't always mean it will work forever, but... Time will tell, I guess.  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version