Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

New X32 app update today....

<< < (2/5) > >>

prosoundco guy:
Well I hope not, but speed IS important in a competitive marketplace. I bought the DL when I did ONLY because the IX16 wasn't out yet and needed something smaller for club gigs than the SL (100 lbs in road case.)  I bought the SL just about a year ago. So far, 2 firmware updates, which added delay lines into the sub groups, additional sends into the monitors, (fx, aux a&b) and SmAArt software.  and I think 3 app updates which added talkback buttons, scene stores, etc. Since I purchased the DL a few months ago, the X32 app has had 2 updates. Nothing from Mackie. All of those updates added useful functionality. It's not like Mackie doesn't have examples to look to. I think it's not a front burner issue for them, and that kinda sucks for me.

ijpengelly:
If you have only had two firmware and three app updates in a year for the SL, doesn't that make it less than Mackie?  ::)

The X32 has been in the making for a long time, I was seriously considering one as a replacement for the Mackie 24.4 I had before the DL, but the delays getting it to market frustrated me and I gave up waiting. It has a lot more processing and I/O capability than the DL, so there is a lot more to update / fix / improve, so updates can be quicker.

Hopefully Mackie will fall into a nice rhythm with their updates and new products will come along to compliment their line up, and when they say when a release is due they stick to it. If this isn't a front burner issue for them then I would be interested to know what is? (this is a genuine question and perhaps someone might know what is cooking over at Mackie).

WK154:
ijpengelly your right on the competition and it's existed for a long time. Even if Loud gets sold it will continue but unfortunately their lack of reinvestment in the company will hurt them in the long run. Things are slow because of lack of manpower. There is a saying "there's a fool born every minute" so there will never be a lack of customers that have impulse reasons for buying. Some others have not investigated all of it's workflow and subsequently find it lacking. Currently if your looking for a digital console in the $1500 range your choices are limited. When the iX16 arrives that will change. I don't see Mackie introducing anything new in the foreseeable future and their past 3 midsize consoles did not make an impact on the MI. They might introduce a follow-on DL (Onyx redesign and better USB implementation) to level the playing field on hardware, time will tell. The follow on model  strategy worked quite well with their CR1604 series. Remember the company was bought, err make that stolen, by a bunch of sharks and their fattening the pig to take to market. Their not in it for the love of music, their in it for the MONIES. I'm aware of several people with differing reasons for selling, on this forum, ready to make a move once the right product hits the market. I'm spiffing up mine to sell soon. Today's market mentality is leaning more toward disposable products than ever before due to the rapid introduction of new products and lower prices. I don't see V1.5 without V7 of iOS which will take it easily into September possibly November due to Apple. I believe that if Mackie doesn't make serious changes to this release their sales will suffer significantly.

ijpengelly:
Ahh, I do seem to recall reading some information relating to the state of the company that you (WK154) have outlined in your post. If the company is indeed in a transition of being prepped for sale then this is going to be a major distraction from product dev and customer relations as they'll be trying to make the balance sheet look as good as possible through cost cutting, etc.

Until the iX16 is out, reviewed and lives up to the marketing hype then Mackie will remain in a good position with having a lot of DL's out there giving them exposure. Whilst I like the list of changes being proposed are they really deal breakers for Joe Public or is it just the people that are on this forum, who are perhaps more "power users" or wanting to push the boundaries? Are we statistically significant in the grand scheme of the total number of units out in the wild being use where people are perfectly happy with them and so aren't on this forum asking for more?  :o

WK154:
It's about timing and if the iX16 makes it out about the same time-frame as V1.5 then the general public will get feature list stuck under their noses that will make it a no-brain er. This is Mackies big chance to minimize the effect of the iX16 for these buyers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version