Live Performance & Production > Sound Reinforcement

Who runs an active system - who runs a passive?

<< < (5/8) > >>

monthlymixcd:
I'll add that to the list... only 10lb.?!? Sweet!

I've never really minded Carvin stuff. Had one of their 24ch. mixers for years with no issues.

CyberHippy:
Mixed bag here.

My "hop in the car & help us out" setup(s): 2 Mackie C300's (main or monitor depending on needs), 2 passive 10" Apogee monitors and 1 12" (rescued from friend's garage, rebuilt them myself) main, 2 QSC K10's, and a pair of passive 15" Apogee's that I drag out for larger setups (heavy & awkward but great sounding)

One company I work for is 100% QSC K-series

Another company I work for is a mix of Meyer (older, passive, heavy) and Apogee (powered) with a set of K12's for grab-n-go shows.

And of course, lots of clubs & small halls with their own various systems…

Edit: that Meyer company I work with got another pair of K12's & I used them all weekend at the Novato Arts & Wine Fest 7th St Stage for monitors (instead of packing the Meyers & their ludicrously heavy amp rack) - worked like a charm all weekend even in full sun > 100degree heat

musicman7722:

--- Quote from: Keyguy on April 16, 2010, 05:51:53 PM ---I run all active. 2-FBT Maxx4a tops, 2-FBT Maxx9sa subs, and 5-FBT Maxx2a for monitors. And yes, you need to check the EQ's before every job because they do get moved in transport. I have resisted the power/xlr cables because of the cost, but I may be weakening. One downside to those cables is with the AC running inside it, I would hate for someone to put a high heel or something through the cable. The only problem in 5 years was one of the monitor amps went, but FBT promptly repaired it (reasonably priced). A couple of the pots are starting to get noisy, so I will have to address that soon. The system has a great sound and is pretty lightweight.

--- End quote ---

I purchased 2 x 30 combo cables for MF.  The first one failed in a month.  Took a bit of talking but I reminded them of their lifetime guarantee and they sent me a new one.  Now one of them has failed again at the connector that goes into the powered speaker.  I feel there is to much weight from these cables and they are just pulling the cable to much.  I like them for floor speakers such as my sub or a monitor.

Chris

musicman7722:
I use all QSC K series for my band.  2 K12's for tops and a K212 for the sub.  Also 2 K10's for monitors and one IEM for me to mix through LOL.

I drop a small stage snake in the centor of the stage and feed all 5 speakers off of it.  makes for a single home run back to the board.  I also run one good sized AC cable to the same location with a heavy duty 8 port power strip and feed them all from the same line.  Makes setups and tear downs that much quicker.

RoadRanger:
My present system is active tops, passive subs, and passive monitors. Usually my RCF 310A's over Danley TH-Mini subs and semi-custom Ramsdell Pro Audio 10" coaxial monitors (I have eight of these but usually only carry 6). My amp rack is a Gator GR-6S with two Peavey IPR1600 amps for monitors and one Behringer NU3000 or IPR3000 for the subs, weighs about 35 lbs total 8) .

I have a pair of Rog 186 horn-loaded subs loaded with 4 ohm Eminence Omega Pro's for outdoor use and a pair of Behringer B412DSP tops that don't get used much as they aren't any louder than the 310A's and weigh over twice as much  - 65 lbs each :o . LeeSteel has the newer lightweight version of those 8) .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version