Author Topic: First Serious Glitches With DL32R and MF  (Read 27887 times)

beno

• Mackie Product Manager
  • Padawan
Re: First Serious Glitches With DL32R and MF
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2015, 04:49:15 PM »
The firmware files is copied over to the mixer and then compared with a CRC to make sure they made intact. If so, the update proceeds.
If something goes wrong with an update, there is always a fall back. There is a duplicate slimmed down version of the OS in a section of flash that can't be updated. The mixer can boot into that and then do a full update. So if there is corruption preventing the main OS from loading, it boots into this alternate OS and asks for an update. This is what you are booting into when you do a Force Update.
Bottom line, is that you shouldn't be able to brick a machine and this has proven very solid in the field.

JMc

• Padawan
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2015, 04:56:10 PM »
Okay, so I did as you suggested, Ben.  Did the force update on the mixer, which cleared out all my shows and so forth.  When I reconnected the iPad, out of force of habit, I chose to use the show from the DL32 rather than the iPad, so now I have a nice, clean slate of...  No shows.  No problem, I reasoned.  I backed up my shows to Dropbox!  Nice!  However, under settings when I go to import/export settings, the only option for importing the settings is from iTunes, which I never backed up to in the first place.  I don't even know if I have iTunes on my iPad.  How come I cannot import them back from my Dropbox account?  Or, more practically speaking, how do I get my settings saved elsewhere, back into my DL32R?

beno

• Mackie Product Manager
  • Padawan
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2015, 05:03:55 PM »
Just go to the Dropbox app itself, find the backup and choose Open In. That will restore it to Master Fader.

JMc

• Padawan
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2015, 05:12:43 PM »
Yeah. Just got off the phone with Jason at tech support.  Got it.  Any special reason why I can't just import it from dropbox in Master Fader settings?  Not a huge deal now that I know how to do it.  Just thought it was kind of a weird way to have to restore the file...  Thanks. 

beno

• Mackie Product Manager
  • Padawan
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2015, 06:40:04 PM »
They way it works now is the way iOS originally wanted it done. It's confusing I agree. They have changed this model now with the iCloud drive. So this should be something we can improve on in the future.

JMc

• Padawan
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2015, 09:32:23 PM »
Thanks once again for all of the help...  I've reformatted the drive from the DL32R, ejected the disc, recreated the Music and Recordings directories and re-loaded my intermission music on the PC and then reloaded the HDD.  I feel confident that everything should be okay.  I also thought of another step I missed that might explain some problems as well...  I have rarely used the "eject" button in the recording session to eject the HDD.  I just turn everything off, then unplug the drive after I get home to connect to the computer.  I'll get myself in the habit of always pressing "eject" before I power down.  The big test will be Friday at our next show.  I feel confident that things will work just fine again. 

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2015, 09:50:43 PM »
So what's stopping you from a test BEFORE your gig on Friday?
When in doubt KISS

beno

• Mackie Product Manager
  • Padawan
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2015, 10:03:21 PM »
Yeah definitely test before if possible. Maybe an overnight recording tonight?

JMc

• Padawan
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2015, 01:11:14 AM »
Well, I did test it after all of that, but I only recorded a few seconds of dead air.  Seems to be working , file saved, etc.  BUT - I'm more interested in recording in an actual real-world situation where I'm recording the whole set, maybe switching to the set list app, switching back to master fader, stopping the recording at the completion of the first set, playing intermission music, stopping the intermission music after the break, resuming recording the next set, etc.  So the REAL test will be Friday.  But I am feeling pretty good at this point.  I guess there's no harm in dry running through a "test set" between now and then.

beno

• Mackie Product Manager
  • Padawan
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2015, 04:04:05 AM »
Sounds like a plan. FYI, I'm out of town until Tuesday with poor internet so if you need help ASAP, contact tech support again.
Good luck.

JMc

• Padawan
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2015, 04:20:56 AM »
Will do, and thank you again for your personal attention and assistance, Ben.  I'm looking forward to reporting back with some good news after our Friday and/or Saturday gigs.  Have a great weekend. :thu:

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2015, 08:23:25 AM »
ALWAYS use the "Eject" before unplugging it or shutting off it's power.

:)

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2015, 11:57:57 PM »
ALWAYS use the "Eject" before unplugging it or shutting off it's power.

:)
I've never done that, and never had a problem. What is the advantage of ejecting it before powering down?
Mackie Junkie

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2015, 03:29:21 AM »
from the WWW...

The computer needs to do some filing and housekeeping on every drive. If you unplug without warning that housekeeping can be missed or go wrong and your files may be corrupted or damaged.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2015, 01:36:35 PM »
Just like your USB thumb drive too, you can remove it 9 times out of ten from the computer without ejecting it properly, but that 10th time, the drive will be corrupted, cause the OS hasn't quite finished dealing with it yet.

Sometimes you lose some files and worst they become totally fried. At least with a USB hard drive you can repartition and format it. I learned way back, after toasting a few thumb drives to eject them first. No more problems.
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler