Author Topic: Getting a case  (Read 6508 times)

stevegarris

• Knight
Getting a case
« on: October 26, 2015, 07:06:44 PM »
I'm buying a case for a friends DL1608. Has anyone purchased this case that is noted in the FAQ's? If so, can you mount the case so that the iPad will slide in & out of its dock without having to remove the mixer from the case?

http://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-FZ12MIX-Flight-Single-Mixer/dp/B0002DVCQ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364253747&sr=8-1&keywords=Mixer+case+odyssey

Rdmitch

• Knight
Re: Getting a case
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 09:48:56 PM »
I bought a similar odyssey case that had a angled rack mount and a few rack spaces below.
It was a very well made case and I had no issue sliding out the iPad. If you have a clearance problem, I think you can add a small shim under the bracket (you will need a few longer screws) to raise it up a hair.

The case was very heavy and I ended up selling it for a lighter case with no rack spaces below.

The guy I sold it to on Craigslist  loves the case, and when we met up to do the deal he was using it for a DL series mixer.  We talked a lot about the mixer, and he has since become a wonderful client of mine that I do sound form3-5 times a month.  So, I get to visit my old case regularly  🔊
Your never to old to learn something stupid

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 09:53:42 PM »
I'd concern myself with airflow front to back. Doesn't look promising.
When in doubt KISS

cupojoe

• Youngling
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 01:50:16 PM »
anyone have a pic of a dl1608 in this case?     interested in downsizing. I have mine mounted in a larger case with storage underneath, etc...   nice, secure... but it's just to big to carry defeating the purpose of why i bought the lil 1608.   Would you use the 1608 rackmount accessory with this odessy case or just lay it in there... ?

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 05:36:13 PM »
anyone have a pic of a dl1608 in this case?     interested in downsizing. I have mine mounted in a larger case with storage underneath, etc...   nice, secure... but it's just to big to carry defeating the purpose of why i bought the lil 1608.   Would you use the 1608 rackmount accessory with this odessy case or just lay it in there... ?

I will soon. It's due here tomorrow. I have the carpeted case that is no longer sold - really like it. This new case is for a friend of mine who still uses the DL cardboard box for storage. I'll post pictures of both once I get them mounted.

I'm going to do some trimming of the foam, perhaps getting some additional foam. I'm thinking about mounting the DL via longer screws through the bottom of the case into the threads on the bottom of the DL, but if it fits in there snug I won't need to do this. The Odyssey case is a little shorter, so there won't be as much room behind the board, but it also has room beneath the board where I plan on mounting the power brick.

cupojoe

• Youngling
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 09:48:04 PM »
Thanks appreciated.   I had it in a smaller roadrunner case and it fit nicely.  However, it wasn't mounted in and it seemed risky.  I'd be interested in how to secure it if the smaller case doesn't use the 1608 rack mount plate.   I upgraded to the larger case and use the rack mount plate... but now i am a bit sorry because of the size.

Topsøe

• Knight
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 10:18:06 PM »
If in doubt ask

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 11:00:26 PM »
It arrived today from Amazon. Total cost was $116.33 including tax & shipping.

The case is a very good size for this board. There were a few disappointments, but I'm very happy and would buy this again.

I'm going to start with how this looks out of the box, and detail some minor modifications to show how to get it up and running with a DL 1608.

The box comes with a bunch of inserts made of foam. The inserts are held in place with velcro, but about 1/4 of the velcro came unglued. In those areas, the velcro is stronger than the glue, so it just comes off. I affixed some of the smaller panels using some double stick carpet tape I had laying around.

Theres also a cover board that runs across the back (or front?). This too is held in by velcro.

Here is the Odyssey case along side my carpeted case that was sold specifically for the DL (no longer available). They are very similar in size and weight.

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 11:02:11 PM »
The construction seems pretty solid, but then there's this - doesn't affect operation of the lid though:

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 11:04:48 PM »
Here's what you see inside:

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 11:05:35 PM »
And with the interior "Lid" removed:

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 11:07:16 PM »
Loose Velcro everywhere!

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 11:08:43 PM »
The long pieces in the side make for a perfect fit. Here they are pulled off, showing more loose Velcro:

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 11:13:29 PM »
Those pieces are also taller than the sides. Here I have the DL sitting firmly in the case, after only a few minutes of sizing and removing foam. Note that I've lifted the front up here, to allow me to slide out the iPad. For many, this would be good enough and considered done:

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 11:14:48 PM »
iPad removable if you raise the front up about 2":