Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

FAQ: 30 pin Extension Cable Recommendations

<< < (3/9) > >>

lightguy48:
I have yet to find a reliable one either, I've tried 3 so far and just gave up.

I'm guessing it's more the DL1608 than the iPad

Kevin:
My "Patazon" 3 ft extension cable arrived this morning!

For a grand total of $5.53 delivered, it works a whole lot better than the neXplug did - although it still has some issues.

The Patazon cable is a lot easier to plug into the iPad with the Ballistic Tough Jacket - the plastic around the male end is slimmer and fits though the dock opening of the case with no fiddling.
No more constant battery beeping, and the iPad chargers correctly.  Both Master Fader and the iTunes music player communicate with the DL with no problems. I've been playing tunes through the cable (no router) and the DL hooked up to a couple monitors for about an hour with no hiccups.

Now for the issues - both garageband and the JL Audio RTA app worked for a bit, but then dropped out. In the case of garage band, I went to the smart drum page, set up a random hip-hop beat and it played through a couple monitors (ie through the cable to the DL). After a couple minutes, it stopped by itself. When I hit play again, the sound came through the iPads speaker, not the DL. Disconnecting and re-connecting the cable put the signal back through the DL again, but again only for a few minutes. Then it drops out and goes through the iPad speakers. This seems a little odd. I had assumed that the iTunes player and garageband are using the same input to the DL, but iTunes seems solid, while garageband always drops out after a little bit. 

Similar thing for the JL audio RTA - the RTA app gets the audio input from the DL for a while, then after a few minutes it switches to the iPad's mic.

I'm at a bit of a loss to explain this. My best guess is that there is still some sort of occasional garbage on the digital input to the iPad, which is confusing the garageband and JL audio apps, but for some reason Master Fader and the iTunes player are able to ignore this.

Unless anyone else has a better idea about what is going on, I'm planning to try the CableJive extender cables next. According to the mfg website, the cables were redesigned in May 2012 to incorporate "A revolutionary 2-tier shielding system puts all video and audio signals inside a separate shielding to reduce interference from the other signals traveling through the wire." - which I am hoping is marketing-speak for "we finally figured out how to keep these damn cables from flaking out". CableJive makes both 2 and 6 foot cables. 6 foot would be handy, but I could live with 2 ft

RoadRanger:
Thanks! Even a two foot cable that works 100% would be great 8) .

Oddeotek:
I have the 6 foot CableJive 30 pin extension cable. It was pricey but well made and has worked perfectly for three months of daily use. I never dock my iPad anymore. I just bought an iPad mini along with the outrageously high priced 30 pin to lightning adapter cable. Plugging the adapter cable into the extension cable works fine too.

RoadRanger:
^ That's great news, thanks :) ! Which regular iPad do you use it with - Original, iPad 2, or New Ipad (AKA gen 1, 2, or 3) ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version