Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

FAQ: 30 pin Extension Cable Recommendations

<< < (8/9) > >>

WK154:
Will do. The reason for erratically charging is because you did not hook up the +/- USB data lines to the iPad from the Apple charger. This would of course conflict with the DL data lines to the iPad which may not follow the spec. A word of caution on the Li batteries they need close control or you may end up with a fire. I'm tied up for the next two weeks so I can't devote time to this (it's called retirement) ;D.

soundog:
I retired a couple of years ago, so now have time to mess with this sort of stuff. Its the best!!

I see your point on having the USB data lines connected! I want no fires, smoke, or explosions.  >:D

So, for my "dual" decoupled USB charging cable + DL control data cable experiment: do you think if I connected the USB data lines (pin 25 and 27) on the cable at the iPad end only (so I would have all 4 USB connections on the USB charging cable like normal) that this might work? I am not certain which lines the DL is using to charge the iPad, but am assuming it would be 16, 23, 25, and 27. OR ... is the Mackie using 25 and 27 for sync/control data?

One question becomes how to treat any ground connections from the Mackie. Currently I have the pin 16 disconnected from the Mackie, and communication seems to be working with no loss of sync.

This dual cable hack is a fairly dramatic solution for the problem. A better solution would be to simply fix the source of the problem in the Mackie circuit, but who knows what the issue really is?? I realize that an extension cable is beyond intended usage, but I've used an extension with other iPad audio interfaces and had no issues.

WK154:
I looked at this over a year ago and AFAIK the data lines are at a certain voltage for charging levels they apparently don't interfere with communications or maybe they do. I think that you can't do both at the same time, then again I maybe thinking about USB protocol. Need to revisit the subject. I hate Apple with their "intelligent cable BS".

walterw:
all i can say is the 2' cablejive has been working nicely for me for a while now; i make sure my ipad 3 is at 100% before the night begins, and it stays connected (and at 100% charge) til the end of the  night.

i also make a habit of shutting the ipad off between sets to let it cool and recharge.  i shut it down straight from master fader, and it comes back straight to master fader without losing the sync.

WK154:
Soundog you may want to look at this  http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=464.msg3462#msg3462

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version