Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

FAQ: 30 pin Extension Cable Recommendations

<< < (2/9) > >>

Kevin:

--- Quote ---It also now doesn't like to detach from the iPad
--- End quote ---

dont forget that on some of these extension cables, you have to squeeze the male end to get it to let go.

--- Quote ---Impedance and capacitance of the cable may also aggravate this fragile system
--- End quote ---

hmm.. good point. I might see if I can find a shorter cable. 4 feet seemed like it would be handy, but 12 inches would be workable and may be more reliable.

WK154:
I forgot one of the factors in this USB problem could very well be the iPad version. I am using iPad 3 older version could have different electronics. The USB specs are about timing and electronic characteristics not length. I know that Sabrent markets 32 ft. , 64 ft. and 100 ft cables for USB 2.0 or older. I don't know if they work or not but would be a clean solution. I will be trying their other solution for USB extensions  for up to 150 ft. USB > Ethernet > USB  cat6 cable once I find my 100ft. cat6 cables. Software transparent ???? We'll see. Ebay has tons of 30pin cables for sale from shenzhen China or New York for 3.50 to 6.00 ( mine actually cost 3.99 including shipping).

WK154:
OK!  Tested the Sabrent USB 2.0 extender on the iPad first (100 ft. cat6 cable). The iPad had trouble with ID protocol to the PC (iTunes)  and eventually I managed a connection. Definitely not reliable. Ipad would skip to the next song at random. Then there was the question of the Sabrent extender working as advertised so I hauled out an old  WD2500 USB 2.0/Firewire 400 backup drive and tested it on USB. Two hours of music playing off the WD without missing a beat let alone disconnecting convinced me that Sabrent extender was solid. It also worked thru the hub for another 3 ft.  :)  Conclusion: iPad is a poor implementation of USB 2.0 either hardware or drivers or both. Of course they don't claim to be. Why inter-operate with other equipment? It's Apple or nothing. Mackies implementation is even worse. The longest cable that would work between iPad and DL is the 3 ft extension. All other attempts to go beyond 3 ft. (ie. 6 ft.) failed. Ethernet which is the other route fails for lack of driver support in the iPad. Combine this with with Apple crippleware and you have no hardwired long distance solution AFAIK. Give me a PC app for the DL. Oh that's called a iX16.

Kevin:

--- Quote ---you have no hardwired long distance solution AFAIK
--- End quote ---

Bummer, although I'm glad to know that you have a reliable 3 foot cable.  So there is some hope for a short distance solution

I have a "Patazon" 3 ft extension cable on the way. Anyone try one of those? How about either the 2 foot or 6 foot CableJive extenders? Those are pricey but get good reviews.

WK154:
Update on Sabrent extender!!!! It's going back. :( I tried to transfer about 500Mb to the backup and it took forever it seems ~5Min. Hate to see the error rate. It certainly wasn't transferring at 480 Mbs. Switched to a 6ft USB and 25 seconds later the transfer was complete. Not good for general use, music wav files will play however. I think they only need 12Mbs at CD rates.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version