Author Topic: EQ’ing multiple songs  (Read 12724 times)

stevegarris

• Knight
Re: EQ’ing multiple songs
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2018, 07:42:56 PM »
We play 30 songs in a show, this means adjusting the EQ over the main volume slider 30 times per venue.

This is what you said 2 posts ago:

"Yes that’s it. I have created different shows for different venues and the idea is to set the main EQ for those venues. It appears though, that you can’t EQ a show.

I think we are all still confused on what you are trying to accomplish.

Jooles15

• Youngling
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2018, 08:20:01 PM »
Okay, it’s pretty straightforward. I use rhythm section backing tracks when I play, the sources of these is varied and therefore some are very bassy, others ice pick high. To ensure a balance from one track to the next during our show, I have created separate songs within a show through which each track can be eq’d in a way that deals with the issues inherent to the source material. So, our set list (show in Mackie speak) may consist of 30 songs and I have thereforecreated 30 different songs within that show, each with different settings to suit the characteristics of each backing g track. Having a separate setting for each song within a show also enables me to EQ other sources differently to suit the mix of the song, for example, a song that uses a backing track that is predominantly bass may require a lift on the rhythm guitar and vocal to ensure balance. I have done this with success and am happy with the outcome. The final requirement for me is an ability to apply a final venue specific EQ to all songs in a show to suit the acoustics of that venue. Some venues will naturally emphasise bass sounds, given this I would want to reduce the bass content if all 30 songs. I am looking for an easy / quick way to do this but can’t find one on the DL. I’m therefore tuning EQ for the venue by adjusting my speakers through their own dedicated EQ control on the back of each (powered) speaker.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2018, 12:14:10 AM »
in my opinion and if I were you,
I would fix your issues by having all of your songs "mastered" so that from track to track they will not need any EQing or level adjustment.

I completely understand your desire, and I would master them for you for "FREE"

you can contact me through my website if you like.

ToH2002

• Padawan
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2018, 11:41:52 AM »
I'm fully with Dan on this - if you're already creating EQ settings for each of these songs, why not simply apply them to the backing audio file and save them as new files in any simple audio editor?

You COULD work your way around the issue by creating mixer snapshots for every song and set the LR main output to channel safe in the Show page. Then set your room EQ on the main output; since you've activated channel safe, your EQ settings for the LR channel will not be affected by the snapshot/scene changes.

But really, why go through all that trouble when you can simply re-save the backing files with your EQ settings inprinted?

Cheers,

Torsten

Jooles15

• Youngling
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2018, 03:22:49 PM »
Thanks both, that makes sense but I don’t have any software that would be adequate to do that, happy to invest in it but my ability would take much longer to acquire. That’s a great offer Dan, what is your website? Thank you.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2018, 04:37:41 PM »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2018, 04:31:56 PM »
Thanks both, that makes sense but I don’t have any software that would be adequate to do that, happy to invest in it but my ability would take much longer to acquire. That’s a great offer Dan, what is your website? Thank you.
Jooles you already have everything to do the job it's a DL1608. Since you are already playing the backing tracks through the DL all you need is another iPad, iPhone or other recorder to record the results, and yes those quality headphones I mentioned earlier. If you want to polish the results somewhat then use Audacity, a free sound editor, very easy to use. The process will give you the much needed practice with the DL. In the future if you want more specific answers then much more detail is required. We only know that you have a DL1608 and powered speakers of unknown make. No idea of your guitar setup or for that matter what type of guitar. The source of those infamous backing tracks for sure. Since you are new at this let me help you with a general list.
Genre, typical Venue (Pub etc.), Mics, mixer, amp, speakers and any other relevant gear make and model and any other specifics regarding your problem. You're focused on Eq but it's only the tip of the iceberg to achieve good sound. 

Dan, a Very Very generous offer or a senior moment. We know you would do a great job but would it be the groups signature sound? Something they should participate in creating first.
That ancient proverb "You can feed a man for a day or you can teach him how to fish for life" comes to mind. Where is that choir when you need them  :)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 07:43:23 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 09:28:37 PM »
a senior moment,,,,  I can relate   :lol:

Peebo

• Youngling
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2018, 05:38:13 PM »
I really think you should go with the re-EQing of the backing tracks. Doing the "homework" will make the gig go better and let you consentrate on playing. Depending on the source of the backing tracks, the EQ and volumes can really differ. This would be similar to "mastering" a recording in the studio. Audacity is a good free PC program and there are other DAW's that you could accomplish this with.
You could do this a few songs at a time and see how it works out at a gig.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2018, 06:46:00 PM »
In closing I think your aforementioned idea of "Thinking about training up our singer’s husband on the DL so he can sit in the audience, adjust and save. " is the best idea yet since the laws of Physics prevent you from mixing and playing at the same time.
When in doubt KISS

Jooles15

• Youngling
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2018, 08:32:45 PM »
Thanks to you all for your help on this, much appreciated. We’re playing a gig Saturday night, we’ve EQ’d the first half set during rehearsals (trained up my guy on the DL and he sat in the hall where we rehearse adjusting levels and EQ). We have the second half set somewhere pretty close (levels about right) and he will adjust these songs live Saturday night sat in the audience.

One further question if I could - with the iPad flat / disconnected the DL still processes sound, is it only processing the raw sound via the gain knob settings or does it use some other default?

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2018, 09:24:22 PM »
The DL1608 will use all settings to process the sound until you change it with the iPad. The iPad never processes any sound. The DL will retain all those settings if you loose connection or power. It will use the last settings when powering back on. Glad we could help.
Cheers and let us know how it went.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 09:30:15 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Jooles15

• Youngling
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2018, 08:04:57 AM »
Okay, the day after the night before. FOH sound pretty good, the room was a bit of a nightmare reflecting all over the place but we managed. The issue was stage sound, awful. We have a Matrix FR12 (FRFR) cab through which all sound passes pointing at the audience to complement our pair of 15 inch PA speakers and a 10 inch Laney monitor on the floor. The Matrix sounds amazing but is very focussed, you stand slightly to one side and it’s like a low pass filter has been added, all you get is the bass part of the spectrum. The Laney wedge is deliberately trebly to cut through. Our sound guy was happy with the FOH sound (ish, vocal could have been higher but feedback threatened so he dropped all other channels but everything was then too quiet). The biggest issue was stage sound, it sounded terrible to us and we want to enjoy the gig too. One easy fix is monitor levels, I have this controlled separately through the DL and this needs sorting for each song, some we could barely hear, others were blowing us off the stage with high volume treble 😬. This I can fix. I’m thinking about using the matrix as an additional monitor so we get a rich sound that closely resembles that heard by our audience.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2018, 04:30:16 PM »
Great at least your audience got good sound. I wouldn't turn that Matrix on you (feedback city) instead I would look at IEM's (there's only two of you) especially since your FOH guy is new at this. You need to fix that backing track. Did you fix any of it? Your setup is bass heavy all around and your Vocal (female) can't go below 120Hz unless she's grown a beard. Remember that list I gave you it will come in handy for sound (pun intended)  :) advice. Do you have anything wireless (besides the iPad)?
Cheers
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 04:58:09 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Jooles15

• Youngling
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2018, 04:40:43 PM »
Hello again, can’t work this one out.....

I have my main PA speakers connected to Main Outs L and R and a monitor connected to Aux 1. When I change the volume slider setting on a given channel, I want the the volume of that channel to change on both the Main Outs 1 and 2 (what the audience hear) and my monitor (what I hear). I’ve played around with VCA’s and feel I fully understand what they do but it strikes me that they are not the answer anyway.

Help!