Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Future = IOS7 Goodbye iPad First Gen

(1/5) > >>

bcbeak:
Feeling betrayed again .. Mackie email announced that all future releases will require IOS 7.
That bricks my iPad First Gen which I have been nursing along and have set aside for band use only.

Now I have to decide if this mixer is worth buying another iPad and if I bought a newer iPad would
have to shell out more $$ for the adapters. At that rate might as well get a new mixer. We never use the
ipad remotely .. (no sound guy) because we are busy setting up as fast as we can.

We all knew that this day would come .. but cmon .. 1 year of use and I need all new equipment?  I really
want to love this thing .. but they are really making it hard.

What am I missing?  Talk me off the ledge ...

Wynnd:
Back off the ledge.  Apple is still selling ipad 2s.  And I understand there are lots on craigslist and ebay.  I can understand your frustration.  Mackie is at least making connector upgrades available for later models.  (Got the impression they are about $100.)  The last easiest option is if you have working Wifi, you don't really need the connector.  (Or do you need to connect for firmware pushes?)  Someone is also probably already making adapters.  (Need to check that.)  The last option is to not update and use the mixer/ipad combination exactly as it is.  You will probably miss out on some goodies, but I bought the mixer as it was and never expected the improvements we got. 

paulfrench:
Plus 1 for backing off the ledge. I'm a new 1608 user, as in I bought one this week. We found a used ipad2 locally for $200, so that's an option. But also, your mixer isn't going to stop working with the original iPad, right? It won't get the upgrades, but it won't take a step back either.

bcbeak:
The reason the 1608 was so appealing was the endless potential for free upgrades, improvements and bug fixes.
Now we will be stuck with the current state with our first gen iPad.

WK154:
Keep in mind that when you bought the Dl1608 the then current iPad was iPad 3. You knew at that time that anything older would have an EOL sooner but you choose to save $ then. That was the tradeoff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version