Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

QSC K-SUB using AUX 6 versus QSC built-in X-overs

<< < (2/2)

Greg C.:

--- Quote from: Harpman on August 20, 2014, 11:46:47 PM ---So leave the PEQ enabled and GEQ flat and only adjust PEQ if needed, correct? So in your situation, you notch -3db at 50Hz and leave everything else flat?

--- End quote ---

Correct, PEQ enabled if you need it. My subs are much different than yours. You may need no EQ at all on your subs. Mine have a sightly noticeable bump at 50Hz in the room I use them in that needs only a very small, tight notch to tame. Other than that, no other EQ applied to my subs.

Harpman:

--- Quote from: Greg C. on August 21, 2014, 12:27:34 AM ---
--- Quote from: Harpman on August 20, 2014, 11:46:47 PM ---So leave the PEQ enabled and GEQ flat and only adjust PEQ if needed, correct? So in your situation, you notch -3db at 50Hz and leave everything else flat?

--- End quote ---

Correct, PEQ enabled if you need it. My subs are much different than yours. You may need no EQ at all on your subs. Mine have a sightly noticeable bump at 50Hz in the room I use them in that needs only a very small, tight notch to tame. Other than that, no other EQ applied to my subs.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Greg, appreciate your input. Played a little with it last night and it sounds really good now. Good separation.

WK154:
Like you stated "it's working fine", so don't fix it in the crossover area. It sounds like the "rumble" in the vox channels need to be looked at, after all it's still rumble in the tops. Would be useful if the frequency of this is identified and fixed another way. SteveG method is handy since it doesn't require a layer change for control as the aux 6 method does. The only eq (parametric) would be to knock out room acoustic problems like Greg's 50 Hz standing wave. I can't buy that a mfg would produce a sub with that characteristic. Even this is limited as a solution. See http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-roommodes.htm  .

Greg C.:

--- Quote from: WK154 on August 21, 2014, 10:12:29 PM --- The only eq (parametric) would be to knock out room acoustic problems like Greg's 50 Hz standing wave. I can't buy that a mfg would produce a sub with that characteristic.

--- End quote ---

If you're referring to my subs, the 50Hz cut is to correct the box itself rather than a room mode. I realize I miscommunicated that in my last post. My subs are Rat Sound dual 18s and the only processing they need is that tiny cut at 50Hz along with the low pass and limiter. I'd say though that such a small, relatively optional amount of EQ is a testament to how well designed those subs really are. I've used subs requiring several points of notching to tame them, and with these that one notch isn't essential for good fidelity.

4mal:
Ext sub on the k series tops engages the HPF side of the crossover so...  Setting that on the tops, running the kick, bass and other stuff that needs the sub through your Aux mix and onto the Sub is a way to cut mic stand rumble, acoustic guitar boom, etc out of your system.  I find that I can get a fat punchy mix doing that.  Hte bass, kick, etc all goes into the main mix so it is represented in the tops as well and with exactly the same crossover impacts as though the tops were connected to the through on the sub.

Aux fed subs are one tool in the kit.  Like any other tool, it can be misapplied.  Ultimately your ears have to tell you that you have a good mix.  Do it wrong and you can certainly get some funky results...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version