Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Am I using the DL32R right?

<< < (3/3)

cyclops:
It does :)  I do mixing at home in a small home studio and as a weekend warrior.  Been catching a lot of bands lately, and I feel like I have a superior mix with the DL32R and using the compressors / gates the way that I do vs. the older boards that don't have those features.  i miss my multi band compressor on the output channels from the Line 6 Stagescape, as I feel that can really tame the low-mids in a live mix.  I'm learning to start pulling back on the 250 hz, as there seems to be a lot of build up in that area.

Trying to improve one mix at a time!

- cyclops

sam.spoons:
Actually it's not compression that increases the risk of feedback but the addition of make up gain (pedantic I know, sorry  ::) ). Looking at it logically a compressor compresses the signal, i.e. reduces the gain on the louder bits. To compensate for this we "make up" the gain on everything which also increases the likelihood of feedback just like turning up the gain without compression would.

What this means in real life is that if you just use compression with a high threshold and high ratio to control the peaks you won't need to add make up gain and thus won't increase the feedback risk. If you use a low compression threshold you'll need more make up gain and have more risk of feedback.

robbocurry:

--- Quote from: cyclops on March 19, 2015, 03:01:11 AM ---It does :)  I do mixing at home in a small home studio and as a weekend warrior.  Been catching a lot of bands lately, and I feel like I have a superior mix with the DL32R and using the compressors / gates the way that I do vs. the older boards that don't have those features.  i miss my multi band compressor on the output channels from the Line 6 Stagescape, as I feel that can really tame the low-mids in a live mix.  I'm learning to start pulling back on the 250 hz, as there seems to be a lot of build up in that area.

- cyclops

--- End quote ---
Wow, Stagescape has a multiband compressor!?
I'd love that on a few of my mixers...... :D

RoadRanger:
I believe the Behringer X series have multiband comps available, probably take up an FX slot each (or maybe two per slot?).

Fluddman:

--- Quote from: cyclops on March 19, 2015, 03:01:11 AM ---It does :)  I do mixing at home in a small home studio and as a weekend warrior.  Been catching a lot of bands lately, and I feel like I have a superior mix with the DL32R and using the compressors / gates the way that I do vs. the older boards that don't have those features.  i miss my multi band compressor on the output channels from the Line 6 Stagescape, as I feel that can really tame the low-mids in a live mix.  I'm learning to start pulling back on the 250 hz, as there seems to be a lot of build up in that area.

- cyclops

--- End quote ---

Yeah I also find cutting (around) 250hz helps clean things up. Good for improving clarity on male vocals too!

Cheers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version