Author Topic: problem - Pink / white noise from ipad channel  (Read 38568 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: problem - Pink / white noise from ipad channel
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2013, 08:03:19 PM »
Quite repeatable left it on overnight and same results no charge status is the clue. No audio after disconnect and reconnect of the iPad. With no change to the MF app still running when the DL sync failed. I also restarted the music app and it went to iPad speakers instead of the DL setup. It is unable to reconnect without a power cycle on the DL. This makes the DL an unusable kit unless of course you consider power cycling the mixer during a gig is acceptable. I don't. Will send info to Mackie support the answer should be interesting.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2013, 08:43:11 PM »
Text to Mackie support.
My recent update to 7.04 and MF V2 on an iPad 3 has brought about sync failure and I have isolated it to the DL sync mechanism. This of course should be nothing new since others have already been in contact with you. To refresh your memory  http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=486.0   . This in my opinion makes the DL mixer an unusable product in live usage. Please address this issue ASAP and give all of us feedback on your proposed action. Hopefully you understand these implications to your product and Mackie's reputation.
The clock is running.
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2013, 09:41:45 PM »
Because the ipad portion of the DL1608 is thin client and not carrying any of the actual mixers, rebooting during a show shouldn't have any adverse affect on the mixer, that will carry on right where you left it.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2013, 12:19:23 AM »
I think you misunderstood I had to reboot the DL not the iPad. I'm not convinced that a reboot of the iPad would have solved the problem but next time it locks I'll try the iPad route. I have in the past run into problems by powering up the DL first and then the iPad. The other way around always has worked for me hence my procedure and suspicions. Physical disconnect of the iPad from the DL and a reconnect should have invoked the sync procedure on the DL side and it did not hence the reboot of the DL. The MF program was not shut down so nothing was done other than a disconnect/reconnect and apparently it was properly handled on the iPad side IMHO but solved nothing. Rebooting the DL solved the problem.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 12:39:17 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2013, 01:25:21 AM »
Got it now.  You are right, that's seriously intruding on a gig.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2013, 07:25:07 AM »
UPDATE: Been a week and a half and mum's the word at Mackie on my tech request. No surprise there. In the meantime I experimented some more and found some interesting behavior between the DL and iPad wired connection. As you may not remember I am using a 1 Meter cable to induce this state of the DL not re-syncing. This happens when I unplug the cable at the iPad end once done it will not re-sync unless you power cycle the DL. Well I found that plugging in the iPad without the cable will let it re-sync. Before you give me the company line of it's not approved yada yada think about this. The unit will re-sync if power cycled with the 1M cable. Smell a bug yet? To make matters worse it will re-sync if you plug the cable in the DL end. The whole point to this exercise is to find a quick way to generate the lockup, not wait a week or two maybe to find the condition with all the approved setups. Any Engineer armed with schematics and knowledge of the code would be able to quickly find a solution. Mackie I did my part so how about it? This failure is not dependent on iPad audio recording or playback it can happen any time. It is just more noticeable under those conditions. I reiterate that the DL is not RELIABLE in live or other uses until this problem is resolved. This has certainly been re-enforced by the experience of other users on this forum and elsewhere using approved setups.

As a side note Focusrite has experimented with cables to extend their docking station to the iPad and have recommended a 2ft. cable.
  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PBBSWO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
Apple never made an extender cable for the 30pin connector (maybe a clue?) but they do sell a 30pin to N connector all 5" worth.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 07:27:08 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2013, 12:54:44 PM »
Here is my 2˘ for what it's worth. This is not just a Mackie dl issue. This happens all the time when I am using Auria. It did it with the presonus 1818, the Alesis dock and my the blue icicle. It happens when I am recording or not. Everything seems to be fine then BAM tons of white noise. I have to rip of my headphones. I used Auria in a rehearsal with a band and this issue came up a few times. So every 30 minutes or so I reset the program. And we were just using it to run the 1818. We were not recording.

My point is this is not just a dl thing. It's more than likely an iPad thing. But regardless I do think Mackie needs to figure out how to stabilize this issue. Even if it's an iPad issue if it works most of the time then there should be a fix. Hopefully it's not a dock connector issue or a recall may be needed. I never use my iPad docked so I personally have never experienced this problem with the dl.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2013, 08:41:39 PM »
It seems that every 3rd party vendor is having their hands full with Core Audio's newest incarnation. I suspect that the fruit's answer will be to buy the new (yet to be introduced) HOTAIR version quad core 3Gig iPad. The downside of having your own product depend on another vendors product for interoperability. Not using Internationally accepted standards to build your product. Could you imagine the Internet in this state of disarray?
It is however clear to me that the DL can in fact correct this problem (initialization code during power on that is not used during a reconnect attempt).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 03:45:10 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2013, 04:25:35 PM »
At last night's gig while setting up, I got some serious white noise and freaked out.  Turned out to be a busy channel on my singer's wireless mic.  Two gigs and a sound event in between and a long drive to the last one left me feeling about 20 years older than I am.   (I should be so lucky to live that long.)  And to make matters worse the club we were playing in had a truck horn at the bar that they started pulling on about mid second set.  I thought it was the PA freaking.  I really need to be better rested before unloading for a gig.  But actually the PA was fine all night and it was just my fatigue.  (First time in that club.  Didn't know about the air horn.  Got home about 4:30 AM.) 

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2013, 12:04:55 AM »
I just saw this on Mackie's facebook page:
"Mackie: We’ve been able to duplicate this issue. We are working now on a solution and will update when a fix is available. In the meantime, we have found that undocking and then re-docking the iPad will alleviate it, though the problem can re-occur until we provide a permanent fix."

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2013, 12:12:24 AM »
Musta been a brain fart on Mackies part I can't find it anywhere RR. A little help here.
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2013, 12:17:38 AM »
Musta been a brain fart on Mackies part I can't find it anywhere RR. A little help here.
It was posted twice that I saw - in replies to other people's posts over on the right.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2013, 12:24:23 AM »
Thanks got it, you gotta log in for the secrets.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2013, 12:52:37 AM »
At last night's gig while setting up, I got some serious white noise and freaked out.  Turned out to be a busy channel on my singer's wireless mic.  Two gigs and a sound event in between and a long drive to the last one left me feeling about 20 years older than I am.   (I should be so lucky to live that long.)  And to make matters worse the club we were playing in had a truck horn at the bar that they started pulling on about mid second set.  I thought it was the PA freaking.  I really need to be better rested before unloading for a gig.  But actually the PA was fine all night and it was just my fatigue.  (First time in that club.  Didn't know about the air horn.  Got home about 4:30 AM.)
That brought to mind a little eight graders wisdom about this. My wife coaches an award winning Barbershop quartet and a few weeks ago on a gig one of the participants had to withdraw (food poisoning that send one to the hospital) so they and other participants were asked to add more to their repertoire. On the way to arguing which song to add the one twin(yes twins) had us rolling in the isles. As they trotted off to practice she said "Suck it up guys that's showbiz". That's the Soundaholics seasoned veterans at 13!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 12:59:24 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Yorgaki1

• Padawan
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2014, 02:07:35 PM »
This continues to occur. I perform as a duo with my backing tracks usually on the ipad fader. No more. Im forced to undock and take audio out the headphone jack and of course I cant charge the ipad or use the lock and am wasting two additional channels returning the audio. Looking to get rid of my dl unless mackie steps up to help.