Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

EQ’ing multiple songs

<< < (2/7) > >>

dpdan:
I was going to say what Steve already did...

change the EQ on the tracks channel/s, not the mains.

Jooles15:
That’s what I’ve done, I’ve changed the EQ on the backing track channel for each song, what I want to do is identify an easy solution for changing the main L and R out track EQ on all songs to suit room acoustics. 😁👍

WK154:

--- Quote from: Jooles15 on September 18, 2018, 06:55:40 PM ---That’s what I’ve done, I’ve changed the EQ on the backing track channel for each song, what I want to do is identify an easy solution for changing the main L and R out track EQ on all songs to suit room acoustics. 😁👍

--- End quote ---
I think you are confusing the role of L&R and any other speakers which would present your sound to the audience in a venue (room acoustics) with individual sound sources (Backing tracks and Voice and Guitar) a totally separate issue. As I perceive it you need to re-record your backing tracks to your liking without room acoustics interfering with quality headphones and then adjust your room acoustics as a separate step.  Songs will have different frequency content and will affect room acoustics hence the recommendation to use pink noise for room acoustic correction. If you can't find a third party to evaluate yourself live then record yourself s and do soundcheck live in the audience area. Most of us don't get that time luxury so a lot is done on the fly using your ears, a hard thing to do as one of two performers. The goal is to be consistent. You do however need a functional DL1608.

Jooles15:
My approach has been similar, adjusting each backing track not through headphones but in my rehearsal space, my intention being to then adjust for venue room acoustics using a global EQ if such a process exists. Not come across the term ‘pink noise’ before, is this an audio equivalent of a screen Test card (apologies if you’re not uk based and do not recognise this term!)

I am almost entirely new to sound engineering, only really having guessed my way through with reasonable results. I really want to learn in order to exploit the DL and maximise the quality of our sound.

WK154:
Re-reading my answer it was probably not clear (corrected in post) as to the reason for headphone listening. It was to avoid more room acoustics such as the rehearsal space from affecting your evaluation. Pink noise like Video Screen Test Card is to provide a full (or not) frequency range (20 -20K) steady signal so you can adjust the audio. Used mostly in conjunction with a RTA or good ears. You have a noble goal but remember it's good not to adopt bad habits since they're hard to change. A good book or some of the U-tube tutorials from Pro's may be a good start. Plenty of practice won't hurt either. Also keep in mind that the mixer is not a fix-all for a poor performance. The saying in audio is that "less is more" applies here. Lastly is your DL1608 charging problem solved? There are a few UK folks on this board that may be of help. Yes there are mathematical ways to define room acoustics but they are not used in live performances AFAIK.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version