Author Topic: Cheapest iPad that supports 5.1  (Read 2537 times)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Cheapest iPad that supports 5.1
« on: February 10, 2020, 07:02:36 PM »
I just got in a refurb iPad Mini 2 for $120 shipped from Amazon. It is upgradeable to iOS 12 but won't do iOS 13. Physically it's in great condition but every time you turn the screen on the contrast goes to heck after about 30 seconds :( and white smear lines appear. Also it seems to run a bit warm to me and the battery percent is dropping quite fast - looks like the battery is only good for 40 minutes :( . It does load the app fine as well as the app for my Zoom L-20 . My older iPads are two iPad 2's and an original iPad Mini which only support iOS 9 :( all still run as well as new with 10-ish hours of battery life still :) .

Anyways I'm going to keep it on until the low battery shutdown happens and fully charge it and see if that helps. I've already done a factory reset on it but no joy.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
Re: Cheapest iPad that supports 5.1
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 01:31:16 AM »
return that piece of crap...

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 01:34:54 AM »
For that $$ you can pick up a decent Android tab that will make it look like what Dan said "crap".
When in doubt KISS

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 04:13:53 AM »
what a world
what a world
what a world

« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 04:24:13 AM by dpdan »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 05:00:04 AM »
For that $$ you can pick up a decent Android tab that will make it look like what Dan said "crap".
I have to have an iPad that supports iOS 10.3+ for my Zoom L-20, it doesn't support Android. Actually I really only need to switch the channel meters to pre-fader with it. After a full discharge-charge cycle the battery life is testing out at just under 5 hours, half of what it should be. The contrast problem is annoying but it's still useable (for now) indoors. i just initiated a return to Amazon for it and I have until May 11th to ship it so maybe I'll keep it for a bit and not replace it ;)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 05:03:51 AM by RoadRanger »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 05:21:59 AM »
Aha the usual lock-in catch. You still should be able to get something better than what you got from Amazon.
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 05:29:41 AM »
White smear lines?  There are a few screen problems with iPads that are fixed with a sharp rap of the hand.  I had this happen to mine and while everywhere I looked it said a sharp rap, I was hesitant to try it.  I hit it medium and nothing changed and then a little harder and a little harder.  About the 6th hit the screen squared away and never gave me another problem.  By the way, it went screwy when I dropped it on the floor.  That should have been a clue.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 07:45:27 AM »
My experience with tablets that have failing batteries you will find a discoloration on the screen when power is off. This means the battery is starting to expand and press against the screen. My Tab A was in that condition so I replaced the battery, not for the faint of heart but not brain surgery either. You do need the tools and have done repairs before. My iPad 3 is starting to show signs of this problem but Apples tabs are a pain to deal with intentionally. The screen recovers when the pressure is off.
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 05:21:55 AM »
Hmm... I disabled all the battery sucks I could find and it seems to be doing much better with the battery life - disabled background app activity and put it on airplane mode etc. The screen only gets weird after a few minutes of being on (and is fine for up to  minute again after a quick off then on) so I doubt going Hammer Mechanic on it would be a permanent fix but who knows?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 02:26:59 PM by RoadRanger »