Author Topic: DL vs X32 Sonic Quality  (Read 10489 times)

stevegarris

• Knight
Re: DL vs X32 Sonic Quality
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 06:12:28 PM »
Thanks everyone. You've confirmed my belief that there is no difference in the sound quality between the 2 boards. I didn't want this to turn into a bashing of my friend, who is a studio guy that I believe has been thrown into live audio very recently. He's very young and has a lot to learn, but this guy mixes stadium shows on an L-Acoustics array using Midas boards - gear that I have never had access to.

From this post I read 6 of you that agree that the DL sounds just as good, and 1 stating it might be a little thin sounding. I too came from a Mixwiz, and there was no doubt in my mind that the DL sounded better. I also use 2.x on my system, and 3.x on a club installed board. For my mixing needs, 2.x is much better, but I'm running an iPad 2. This year I think I'm going to pick up an Air2, and I might consider the DL32 as my next step up.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 08:06:34 PM »
VIEW GROUPS

That may be an answer, I hadn't thought of using view groups in that way, nice one Dan :)

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 09:22:57 PM »
Thanks everyone. You've confirmed my belief that there is no difference in the sound quality between the 2 boards. I didn't want this to turn into a bashing of my friend, who is a studio guy that I believe has been thrown into live audio very recently. He's very young and has a lot to learn, but this guy mixes stadium shows on an L-Acoustics array using Midas boards - gear that I have never had access to.

From this post I read 6 of you that agree that the DL sounds just as good, and 1 stating it might be a little thin sounding. I too came from a Mixwiz, and there was no doubt in my mind that the DL sounded better. I also use 2.x on my system, and 3.x on a club installed board. For my mixing needs, 2.x is much better, but I'm running an iPad 2. This year I think I'm going to pick up an Air2, and I might consider the DL32 as my next step up.

I have to say I have a problem with Behringer. In the past a number of their rubbish products have left me deeply in the s**t so I may be a little biased but I have mixed on pretty much every mixer around and the DL1608 really does sound surprisingly good. I often have to use X32's and they don't actually sound bad but I do find them a bit one dimensional, sort of "whatever". They are also horrifically hard to get you're head around if you need to mess with routing etc.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2016, 11:19:09 PM »
If a company can be said to have turned itself around in the last few years I think Behringer is that company. I've had both good and bad experiences with older Berry products but if you buy a mixer that costs less than a cheap lunch you have to accept that it won't last (or preform well either, though some actually did). Berry used (and still do) sell some cheap kit and some of it does not reach a professional standard but the X32 range does with knobs on (and has shaken the industry to the roots). Mackie, since GM left, has also had it's ups and downs. Both companies now make gear that we would have killed for 25 years ago. Both the DL series and Berry's famous Xs offer far more than we could have dreamed of back then and with much higher reliability than most of those analogue desks (even much more expensive ones) did.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 11:21:47 PM »
pass this link on to anyone who thinks the DL has no bottom end or "warmth"

https://www.facebook.com/Mackie/posts/10153517823616145

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2016, 11:36:01 PM »
very well articulated Sam !

Weogo

• Knight
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2016, 01:10:50 AM »
Hi Folks,

A local venue has a QU16 and I have mixed a few shows on it.
I had no problems with the audio quality.
To say it is better or worse than the Mackies I would need to do a direct comparison.

Have yet to mix a show on Behr X32.

I have mixed a great many shows on Yamaha 01V96 and LS9 and they were certainly serviceable.

The Mackies are my preference for Ipad interface.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 01:16:15 AM by Weogo »

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2016, 03:01:01 AM »
I have an Allen & Heath Qu24 console with an AR2412 CAT 5 stage box and if there was a way to instantly switch from Mackie to A&H there would be no difference. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 08:24:53 AM by dpdan »

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2016, 11:54:16 AM »

If he's used to Midas digital boards when doing the stadium mixes, he'll feel more at home on an X32 -- especially if he currently uses the Midas M32.

For years, I wanted a Midas analog board, but then I started mixing on Allen & Heath GL-series boards and never looked back until I down-sized everything.

Cheers!
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

Jay M

• Youngling
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 09:21:08 PM »
I own both an X32 and just recently the DL32R.

It's hard to compare them, but for me it's easy to make them both sound great.  I've used the X32 many times, and the DL32R only once, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

I don't know how the two mixers process the audio, but I have felt like the X32 was running out of headroom, as if it doesn't use 32-bit floating point DSP.  As long as you keep the levels low, it's fine.  On the DL32 I had the levels up relatively high and I never felt like it was running out of head room. 

The reverbs are ok on both.  People say they suck, but I guess I'm not that picky.

The preamps seem fine on both, not noisy and don't clip easily.

Which one can I make sound better?  I don't want to sound incompetent, but if one is easier to use, then I can make it sound better.  The Mackie is VERY easy to use, but has a very limited amount of DSP options.  The X32 has more DSP options, but they are harder to insert in the heat of battle.

Tweaking the EQ or compression on Master fader is much faster than on the the X32 or its iPad app.  Therefore, I can get better sound out of the Mackie.

My plan was to buy the DL32 for small events alone, and then on large scale events use it as a stage box with my X32.  "There's no substitute for physical fasders" was my original thought.  Now after being exclusively iPad for a weekend conference, I'm pretty sure I can live without the physical faders.  Mackie really knocked it out of the park with the Master Fader design.  Just be sure you have a current iPad!  Old iPads suck with Master Fader.  I used my Air 2 which felt perfect, my old iPad 2 with was REALLY sluggish, and an iPad Retena which was even worse than the older iPad 2.

As other have said, both mixers are budget products that perform well beyond their price point.  With either mixer you have more power than was imaginable at even triple the price.

I think I can sell my X32, its case, the Dante card and little-lite for much more than the cost of the DL32.  The X32 is great, but can't get it into my car in its case by myself.  For that reason alone, I want to sell it.  But it served me well, and sounded awesome, so It'll have a fond place in heart.

One little note about the DL1608... I have one of those too.  The lack of digitally controlled mic pres really crippled that product, and the iPad recording let me down once.  I never loved it like I do the DL32.  If I can't get more then $300 for the DL1608, I'll keep it, but if it's worth more than that, I'll get rid of it too.  I might even part ways with my dusty old, but still working Mackie 1642 VLZ.  My wife will be very happy.

~Jay

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2016, 02:01:56 AM »
Don't know about the X32, but I've been using the DL1608 for nearly 3 years now.  It has the most tolerant input pre-amps I've even had.  (Over 40+ years.)  Don't really know if that's normal but I'm happy with it.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2016, 09:20:28 AM »
I've had a DL1608 for over three years now and have used it on (probably) 80+ shows. I also have an X32 Rack and X32 Compact. Regarding sound quality, any of them can provide a mix good enough to please even the pickiest listeners IMO.

The DL1608 is my goto for many gigs due to it's simplicity and small footprint. I use MF Classic on it for the same reasons. If I need more sophistication then one or both of the X32's will get the gig.