Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Aux compression enough for IEMs?

<< < (12/13) > >>

WK154:

--- Quote from: diggo on December 30, 2013, 08:39:44 AM ---
--- Quote from: WK154 on December 30, 2013, 04:51:42 AM ---I'm trying to understand why you are feeding back your main mix to channel 1 just to feed aux outs?

--- End quote ---

Another method we could try which would be better: send the Phones Out from DL1608 to a headphone mixer which can accommodate the main FOH feed plus discrete Aux for each headset. That would eliminate the latency and free up an input channel on the DL1608. Behringer's PowerPlay Pro XL would do that nicely as each channel has Aux input plus main input. Thanks for making me think different  :)

--- End quote ---

Scrap that idea it's been found to be full of surprises and it only gives you 1 IEM mix. Behringer has a personal headphone amp that would be suited for what you're trying to do called a P1 not the P16 but I haven't been able to locate any. It's on their website. Two balanced inputs and a limiter built in. You would connect one to the aux's output and the other to the main mix (I need to check the fan-out of the LR for how many it can drive). They have a pan and loudness control and it's small and rugged battery operated and low priced. Each performer would have to control their own levels as it should be. It's their ears not yours.

diggo:

--- Quote from: WK154 on December 30, 2013, 09:04:38 AM ---
--- Quote from: WK154 on December 30, 2013, 04:51:42 AM ---I'm trying to understand why you are feeding back your main mix to channel 1 just to feed aux outs?

--- End quote ---

Another method we could try which would be better: send the Phones Out from DL1608 to a headphone mixer which can accommodate the main FOH feed plus discrete Aux for each headset. That would eliminate the latency and free up an input channel on the DL1608. Behringer's PowerPlay Pro XL would do that nicely as each channel has Aux input plus main input. Thanks for making me think different  :)

--- End quote ---

Scrap that idea it's been found to be full of surprises and it only gives you 1 IEM mix. Behringer has a personal headphone amp that would be suited for what you're trying to do called a P1 not the P16 but I haven't been able to locate any. It's on their website. Two balanced inputs and a limiter built in. You would connect one to the aux's output and the other to the main mix (I need to check the fan-out of the LR for how many it can drive). They have a pan and loudness control and it's small and rugged battery operated and low priced. Each performer would have to control their own levels as it should be. It's their ears not yours.

--- End quote ---

I'm also a mastering engineer.

Have a look at the PowerPlay Pro XL - it can do exactly what I need: a main input (either one of the DL's main outs, or the Phone Output) which is routed to all four headset outputs. Each headset output channel can also accept an Aux input which can be mixed with the main signal. So each musician's Aux Send from the DL can be mixed at unity with the main FOH sound, but the actual audio level in the Aux channel will be set by the musicians using Master Fader on their iPads. That is actually a lot easier to achieve than using separate units like the P1. The 3 of us are positioned around a single performance table, so portability/mobility during the gig isnt essential. The only reason for wanting to use wireless was to reduce cable clutter, but the tradeoff is device clutter and increased risk due to wireless technology. It's cheaper and smarter for us to stick with wire. We'll get all the benefits we really need (as opposed to what we think might be cool) just by using wired IEMs and wired headset mics. I'll just use wireless for delay speakers.

As long as we dont forget we're wired and wander off dragging our kit (which has occurred!)

WK154:

--- Quote from: diggo on December 30, 2013, 10:21:23 AM ---
--- Quote from: WK154 on December 30, 2013, 09:04:38 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I'm also a mastering engineer.

Have a look at the PowerPlay Pro XL - it can do exactly what I need: a main input (either one of the DL's main outs, or the Phone Output) which is routed to all four headset outputs. Each headset output channel can also accept an Aux input which can be mixed with the main signal. So each musician's Aux Send from the DL can be mixed at unity with the main FOH sound, but the actual audio level in the Aux channel will be set by the musicians using Master Fader on their iPads. That is actually a lot easier to achieve than using separate units like the P1. The 3 of us are positioned around a single performance table, so portability/mobility during the gig isnt essential. The only reason for wanting to use wireless was to reduce cable clutter, but the tradeoff is device clutter and increased risk due to wireless technology. It's cheaper and smarter for us to stick with wire. We'll get all the benefits we really need (as opposed to what we think might be cool) just by using wired IEMs and wired headset mics. I'll just use wireless for delay speakers.

As long as we dont forget we're wired and wander off dragging our kit (which has occurred!)

--- End quote ---
Yes it can do what you want but it doesn't play nice with the DL. I own two 4700's used for quartet practice and recording thru a Yamaha mixer. The pin 1 problem on the DL and the unbalanced input to the 4700 give you lots of 60 cycle noise. Using a DI box makes it complicated. I wish they had used balanced inputs on the 4700 and one less phone jack. Others on this forum have tried HA4400/4700's with similar results. Custom cables are required to quiet thing down. Check this out.
http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=582.0

walterw:

--- Quote from: WK154 on December 30, 2013, 05:10:56 PM ---The pin 1 problem on the DL...

--- End quote ---
the what now?

WK154:

--- Quote from: walterw on December 31, 2013, 11:52:58 PM ---
--- Quote from: WK154 on December 30, 2013, 05:10:56 PM ---The pin 1 problem on the DL...

--- End quote ---
the what now?

--- End quote ---
We have all kinds of hidden treasures in this forum.
http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=383.0

Happy New Year to all!  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version