Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Running a rig off a small generator

(1/6) > >>

sam.spoons:
I've been thinking about running my rig off a small inverter generator for a while now and did some calcs to see what power capacity I would need. I'm not sure how many of you here are also active on the SOS forums where I originally posted regarding this but I thought there are others like me who would like to be able to do small "off grid power" gigs without the expense of a huge diesel genny.

My rig is 2 x QSC K12s and 1 x EV SbA750 for FOH, 2 x Yamaha DXR10s and 1 x Truesonic TS110A (probably another couple to follow) for monitors and my DL1608. The sums I did suggested my 4.5KW rig would have a real world power requirement (quoted 1/8th power figures where available and educated guesswork elsewhere) of around 4A. I measured the backline (1 x Ashdown Superfly bass amp, 1.4A and 1 x 18watt valve guitar combo, .35A as loud as I could make them go) and came up with a total figure of around 6A for PA and backline.

I ran the full PA rig last Friday in a medium sized pub with a five piece soul/funk functions band (everything miked or DI). I put a power meter on the mains supply to the rig (all powered from a single 13A socket with no backline or lights) and checked the reading a couple of times during the gig when the band were "giving it some". The meter readings never exceeded 2A or 600VA, much less than I expected, my iPhone dB meter was reading 102dBA peaks 10 meters from the stage so it was plenty loud enough (and many complements from punters and band on the sound).

Given the above I have high hopes that my newly acquired (and very cheap) Kipor 2KVA inverter genny might do the business. It's a fairly informal  outdoor gig with my trio over the bank holiday weekend. We played on the beach last year to an audience of around 250 in support of the RNLI (using dodgy mains power from the nearest caravan), this year I'll be using the genny to power a larger rig than last year (a slightly reduced version of my new rig comprising 2 x K12s and 2 x DXR10s plus backline. I'll mic everything (kick, snare and lead guitar and bass DI plus 3 vocals) and, before you ask, I do have a contingency plan to resort to the 'dodgy mains' if the genny proves insufficient.

Last year was great fun so I'll post again after the gig and let you know how it goes this year (if nothing else you'll find out if a £200 used genny has the ba**s to power a rock band on a beach or not)  :lol:

RoadRanger:
I also have a 2000w inverter generator I bought recently:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330964481755
You should be OK :). Make sure it's not on economy (variable RPM) mode if so equipped.

Rdmitch:
I do it every year at a bike  rally.
Running a 1200 watt D class Carvin Amp, passive mains and 1 powered sub along with my mixer.
Never had a problem using a small Honda 2000 watt generator. I usually have it on the economy mode
and appreciate the tip to not do that any longer!

ijpengelly:
Hi Sam, you must not be far from me in the world :-)  What's your band called?

At the weekend we were at the Harefinch Social Club in St Helens and Wish FM had provided a stage and it looked like we were going to have to share a small generator with them (3kW). We were waiting on our guitarist to show up with the big @ss extension lead (a military style 16A 50m unit), so I plugged all our gear into the genny and ran it up. We had a QSC PLX3402 for the bass bins, 2 Mackie SRM1521s, 2 RCF ART 312A, 2 W-audio SM12 monitors, a couple of guitar amps and an Ampeg bass amp all running from it, plus the Wish FM powered mixer. Nothing went pop during sound check, but we did swap to the mains lead (all 75m) in the end.  :lol:

So fingers crossed, with all the modern kit you have with switch mode power supplies you should be fine.

sam.spoons:
Thanks for the encouragement guys. Mine's on of these http://www.kipor.com/product/xiangxi.aspx?classid=144679241835872256&id=203 street price in the UK £450 and a bit noisier than yours RR but otherwise very similar specs. I have decided to take the full rig so a bit more power required but, hopefully, it should be ok. The Band's called "The Tree Fellers" (or Lumberjack! when we go out acoustically. cheesy I know and done to death across the world but I favour silly names for a pub band, people seem to remember them better (perhaps we should start a band names thread, see who has the best/sillyiest  x( ). I'll link to some pics when we've done the deed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version