Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Running a rig off a small generator

<< < (2/6) > >>

RoadRanger:
Kipor is a decent brand. Among the 2000w inverter generators I've looked at the the Yamaha seems to be top rated with the Honda close behind. So far I've just used mine to power a Fishman Loudbox Mini (60w acoustic amp) and box fan at a farmer's market where I'd have to run cable ramps to get the mains power - the generator is lighter :) . I did run a 1000w heat gun on it for a while just to check it out.

I actually have one of these coming in (Wednesday?) to try out for that gig (Thursdays):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009YR00MI
I've read of many folks having good luck with it for beach and park gigs. It has a 28 A/H battery so theoretically about 200 W/Hrs of energy available assuming discharge to 80% and a conversion efficiency of 80%. The Loudbox Mini probably draws about 15w on average so it should power it for 12 hours or so. At the full rated draw of 600w it would probably run about 10 minutes :( but good enough for a quick power tool job. This guy is actually manufactured by Xantrex, a premium inverter maker and has a smart charger so the battery should last for a long time :).

sam.spoons:
I would have liked to be able to afford a Honda (they seem to be the favoured on in the UK) but I can't  :( so I bought my Kipor used off ebay for £200 (plus £40 carriage)  ;D. I tested it with a 1500 watt fan heater for additional load and a DXR10 playing iPod music pretty loud, no audible nasties evident. The SOS thread is here if anybody is interested http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1058655&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=1#1058655

RoadRanger:
Yah, reading that thread on SOS you always run into those guys that tell you your rig is 10x too small to do a broom closet at the pub and that you need a 25KVA diesel generator to charge your iPod. I swear these guy's primary reason to hang out on sound forums is to try to scare off the competition - probably because they suck too much to compete on service ::) . 

sam.spoons:
You could be right, >:( but I like to think that, as on here, most are knowledgeable, helpful and likeable guys  :)

I'll be interested to see the responses if it all goes to plan  ::)

Rdmitch:
I've owned 3 generators in the past 4 years, one Genex, one Honeywell and the Honda.
The first 2 were unreliable pieces of garbage that seemed to fail at the most critical times.
The Honda always starts right up and runs like a champ. Yes,it was not inexpensive
Even with getting a great deal on it but I learned from experience that cost is secondary.
My decisions are based on 99% quality and 1% price.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version