Author Topic: Wireless microphone drama  (Read 11184 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: Wireless microphone drama
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 10:18:30 AM »
If you're not using Bluetooth shut it off so it doesn't try to find other devices. This could slow it down to were it may look like it froze up.
When in doubt KISS

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 10:31:29 AM »
Your mic seems to be the source of your problems, as suggested you should get it's rf output analysed.
Over the summer I ran seven radio mics and wireless iems on two different bands and never had a glitch with the iPad. I was using frequencies in the 606mhz and 860mhz bands. I wouldn't have thought anything other than digital mics on 2.4ghz would have messed with an iPad. Is this problem just a recent development or has it always been like this?

Hi Robbocurry

The SLX system is fairly new - I bought one to try it out and want to get another 3 but obviously that might not be going to happen unless I can solve this little problem. I am not sure how to get its rf output analysed but I'll start by talking with the local agent. I should add that the microphone itself works exceptionally well.

I do lots of work with multiple line 6 mics. No problem whatsoever as long as I use a 5gHz wireless router (first gig I only had a 2.4 and that was a problem). The irony is I went for the UHF over the digital because I was told they had better range, weren't as fussy about line of sight, and worked better with multiple mic setups (which is where I want to be).

If there was a problem with the microphone I should be able to replicate it at home - I'll keep trying! I'll feel much better knowing I can demonstrate the problem if necessary.

Thanks

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 10:34:18 AM by Fluddman »

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 10:32:25 AM »
If you're not using Bluetooth shut it off so it doesn't try to find other devices. This could slow it down to were it may look like it froze up.

Yeah I definitely had Bluetooth on. I'll shut it down next time.

Ta!

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2015, 01:19:23 AM »
I thought I'd provide an update on the wireless issue I am still having.  I finally had the time to do a bit of experimenting at a gig last night and had an interesting result.

The issue i have is that my iPad Air doesn't like being with 6 feet of my Shure wireless microphone. Outside of 6 feet it works perfectly - though its really on a pain when I sound check the wireless mic.

Last night I used a garden variety iPad 2 (non cellular) and it worked perfectly while the Ipad Air and master fader froze anytime i got close to the microphone. The guys in the band were using older iPads too and they had not problem either.

I had cellular and bluetooth off on the Air but it made no difference.

Seems like the Air is more effected by the rf from the microphone than is the Ipad 2.

I guess the next step is to try another air and if see if that works, If so I might take mine back to apple for a replacement.

Fingers crossed.

Cheers

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2015, 01:40:43 AM »
This is doing my head in.

I realised that my daughter has an iPad air. So I set up at home to do some testing.

Unfortunately I couldn't replicate the problem at home (this didn't totally surprise me as I had tried to replicate at home before and it worked fine).

I do sound at a lot of different venues and the problem happens at pretty much all of them - but its working fine at home  :o

Obviously I am not doing a full set up at home so maybe other equipment is affecting the situation.

Weird!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2015, 03:23:23 AM »
Time to include all the gig equipment in your test. There may be an amplifier or other piece of kit generating RF when your near it and the mic and iPad. 6 Ft covers a lot of ground. Isolate the mic and iPad from the rest(50 ft.) to narrow things down first.
When in doubt KISS

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2015, 08:22:45 AM »
Yep, there's got a be something it doesn't like.

But, the wireless is usually the centre mic well away from most amps etc. and it happens with different bands, different venues and different setups.

The only constant is my PA gear - which I'll try and eliminate at the next gig.

At least I know I can use the old iPad 2 as a work around.

Cheers

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 10:54:47 PM »
Ok, so here's another installment in my ongoing saga. I am tracking down the problem slowly.

For those that missed all the history, I can't go anywhere near my Shure wireless microphone without MF freezing and loosing sync on an ipad air.

I've just discovered that its not a problem with older ipads (tried several).

So I guess the next step is to try some other ipad airs to determine whether its a unique problem with my ipad air or whether its a problem with ipad air in general.

I assume that the older ipads are better at rejecting rf interference. I guess this kind of makes sense as they are bigger, fatter and heavier.

Will post back when I can test with another ipad air.

Thanks for listening.

Cheers

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 11:12:32 PM »
Ok, so here's another installment in my ongoing saga. I am tracking down the problem slowly.

For those that missed all the history, I can't go anywhere near my Shure wireless microphone without MF freezing and loosing sync on an ipad air.

I've just discovered that its not a problem with older ipads (tried several).

So I guess the next step is to try some other ipad airs to determine whether its a unique problem with my ipad air or whether its a problem with ipad air in general.

I assume that the older ipads are better at rejecting rf interference. I guess this kind of makes sense as they are bigger, fatter and heavier.

Will post back when I can test with another ipad air.

Thanks for listening.

Cheers

I don't know if this is relevant to your problem, but I seem to remember checking the specs on the new iPad Air and they all have dual wireless antennas with MIMO (multiple in multiple out) tech. The older iPads have only 1 antenna. Could the dual antennas be contributing to the wireless mic issues you are experiencing?
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2015, 12:11:46 AM »
Yeah could be KM. I'd much rather there was a fault with my ipad air, but I suspect it may be a general issue.

The odd thing is it works fine at home but not at any of the venues I do sound at. At home I can actually sit the micrphone on the ipad and MF still happilly works. But at a gig (even without any of my PA gear turned on) it just won't work. There must be more wireless stuff happening at the venues that at home.

I think I can access another ipad air to try at tonight's gig.

Cheers

musicdan

• Padawan
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2015, 02:14:08 AM »
Is moving up to the 5Mhz band an option? Just a thought.

I use a line 6 wireless pack for my bass so I can soundcheck the band from the dance floor. I found it would wreak havoc on master fader if I was close to the iPad at all. I've been operating on 5Ghz for the last few months now and it completely eliminated the problem.

BTW, I found I had to turn off 2.4Ghz on the router completely and transmit/receive only on 5Ghz for this to work properly. Just remember that anything before iPhone 5 or iPad 4th gen isn't capable of 5Ghz Wifi.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 02:17:28 AM by musicdan »
DL1608

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 02:28:11 AM »

I use a line 6 wireless pack for my bass so I can soundcheck the band from the dance floor. I found it would wreak havoc on master fader if I was close to the iPad at all. I've been operating on 5Ghz for the last few months now and it completely eliminated the problem.

BTW, I found I had to turn off 2.4Ghz on the router completely and transmit/receive only on 5Ghz for this to work properly. Just remember that anything before iPhone 5 or iPad 4th gen isn't capable of 5Ghz Wifi.

Thanks Dan,

I've already been on that journey. I am only using 5Ghz.

thanks and cheers

musicdan

• Padawan
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2015, 02:34:10 AM »
My bad, I missed that info. :facepalm: Hopefully you can find a solution.
DL1608

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2015, 03:32:44 AM »
Just remember that anything before iPhone 5 or iPad 4th gen isn't capable of 5Ghz Wifi.
Not true, my iPad 2's work just fine on 5GHz and I'm pretty sure the iPad 1 does also.

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2015, 10:55:11 AM »

Please Dan check your facts before making categorical (wrong) statements, it's not helpful.