Author Topic: DL1608 assign "effects" to aux sends only?  (Read 15791 times)

rhythmrider

• Youngling
DL1608 assign "effects" to aux sends only?
« on: March 07, 2015, 07:16:40 PM »
Hi, I am looking at purchasing the DL1608 but had a question about a feature that I could not find documented.
Like most people, I intend to use many of the aux outs as monitor mixes. So it makes sense to be able to assign "effects" like feedback suppression and eq to these aux mixes.

I do not want to assign these "effects" to channels, because I do not want to affect the main mix, only the "monitor mix"

So the deal breaker question before I purchase one of these is, "Can effects be assigned to the aux send "mixes"?
or as an alternative, can "effects" be assigned to channels, but selectively be "posted" only to appear in an aux mix?

Did I make that clear as mud?

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
Re: DL1608 assign "effects" to aux sends only?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 10:57:22 PM »
it was clear as mud  :)

you said... "I do not want to assign these "effects" to channels, because I do not want to affect the main mix, only the "monitor mix"

That was hard to understand because you don't assign effects to channels, but you can assign channels to effects.

There is only one reverb "effect" and just like an aux mix, you need to "turn up" whatever input channels that you want in the reverb.
Each of the six monitor "Aux" outputs have faders for all the input channels, including the reverb and delay channels.

If for instance, Sally is mix one and she does not want any reverb in her mix, just leave the "reverb" fader all the way down in her mix. 
Each monitor output does NOT have the ability to have sa different reverb.

You mentioned "effects such as feedback suppression and EQ"
Feedback suppression is not an effect and the DL 1608 does not have any feedback suppression.   
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 10:59:55 PM by dpdan »

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 11:32:39 PM »
And EQ is available on every channels (on an individual channel basis) and outputs (both PEQ and GEQ on every output).

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 11:35:30 PM »
I think the question was whether the effects can be made to come thru the monitor mix only
and not the main mix. I have never tried this but as dan indicated each of the aux sends has a Reverb and delay out send.
I've done the opposite and took all the FX out,of the monitors.
 I'm sure someone here has tried it. If not, I can try it for you when I rehook my system up tomorrow afternoon.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 11:50:02 PM »
I'm still using MF2. The reverb and delay have individual channel sends (like auxs on an analogue desk) and the return from each fx can be routed to any output so it's easy to have reverb in one or more aux outputs and/or the mains.

I'm sure someone else will be along to detail any improvements MF has brought to the table (I'll probably try MF3 again soon).

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 01:02:43 AM »
You can use the 31 band EQ for feedback control, but there are better ways.  (Automatic Anti-feedback units or Drive Rack PAs)  Can't think of a situation where I would want the "effects" to go only to the monitors and I can think of lots of reasons to not send them that way.  That said, any sound or effect can be sent to any of the Aux channel outs or L/R main out.  So flexibility is built in.  Don't let that be a reason to not purchase one.  (You might find other reasons to not purchase one, but I like mine and I've had it since Sept 2013)

rhythmrider

• Youngling
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 09:49:15 AM »
Thanks everyone for the quick replies, DPDan, I thought there was a feedback suppression plugin available as one of the updates. Did I read incorrectly?
And relating to what I meant by "effects" I was thinking must specifically about graphic eq and feedback suppression, if available.

I'm trying to simplify my rig and get rid of "extra" gear as in outboard feedback suppressors, EQs and gates.

Regards,
Dana

P.S. as a side note,
I have to say that I think it was a major failing on the part of Mackie to not include a wireless router as an inboard option. Shoot, I'd pay an extra $60 for this option if it existed. (That's what it's going to cost anyway for an external one)

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 10:23:27 AM »
Yup  8) I said, back on day one, that a built in wifi would be a good move, Mackie disagreed. With hindsight a mediocre 2.4 GHz router built in would have been redundant by now that part of the wifi spectrum is so crowded in most venues.

You have Parametric EQ, Graphic EQ and a compressor limiter on every output, and Gate, compression and PEQ on all inputs.

Not sure about the feedback destroyer (the DLM speakers have one built into their DSP, could that be what you have read?) but I don't think plug ins are available for MF3. Have you downloaded MF3 for demo yet? A few hours playing should answer any other questions you may have.

BTW I've had my DL1608 since October 2012 and love it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 10:26:00 AM by sam.spoons »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 03:57:48 PM »
Thanks everyone for the quick replies, DPDan, I thought there was a feedback suppression plugin available as one of the updates. Did I read incorrectly?
And relating to what I meant by "effects" I was thinking must specifically about graphic eq and feedback suppression, if available.
I think you're thinking about the Behringer products that have multiple FX units and plugins available - and insert FX. The DL has ONE reverb and ONE delay available, non-insertable. The only GEQ are on the outputs. I'm sure hoping Mackie will play a bit of catch-up in this area, but the DL32R with it's measly addition of ONE more of the SAME reverb doesn't bode well. The lowly X18's FOUR FX units with a vast array of awesome plugins (some splitable into twin mono FX) is mind boggling for sure  :eek: .

rhythmrider

• Youngling
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 04:51:11 PM »
RoadRanger, you are right, on paper, it looks like Behringer went to the Mackie feature request board and added in everything people wanted that the DL did not have.
I have not had good prior experience with the quality and operation Behringer gear in the past. Could they possibly deliver in the digital realm?

Not to hyjack my own thread, but,
Anyone have real life experience of the x18 vs. the DL1608?

A quick google search and I can't seem to find any reviews from people that actually USED the behringer.
(A lot of talk about the documented feature and specs. but no actual users.)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 05:10:03 PM by rhythmrider »

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 04:57:55 PM »
No but I have a DL1608 and an X32 Compact. The DL (and Master Fader) is the most user friendly out there. Pretty much anybody can use one, the same is definitely not true of the X32 (and, most likely it's smaller siblings as the apps are from the same stable. David's android app for the X32 on which the X-Air app is based is very good but not as easy as MF).

In terms of quality/reliability, the X32 has proved itself to be very good, mine sounds great and much reading of forum posts tell me that very few X32's are giving problems.

For me the DL gets the job done until I run out of inputs, then I'll haul the X32 along.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 05:00:17 PM by sam.spoons »

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 05:04:30 PM »
We probably all have nightmare stories about many brands. I love the 1608, but have Mackie subs I dislike the quality of. I have had great success with Behringer outboard gear but problems on their power amps.
The X-32 I used had many issues with quality which discouraged me from their mixers. I have been playing with the X-18 app and unless I'm doing something wrong there is no real PEQ. I also see no subgroups or VCA's .The Mackies app is far easier to navigate and has many fine features however, it really lacks in the FX department.
I guess you have to pick the features that are critically important to your needs and go with the desk that hits the ball closest to the plate for you.

Your never to old to learn something stupid

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 05:14:12 PM »
I have been playing with the X-18 app and unless I'm doing something wrong there is no real PEQ. I also see no subgroups or VCA's .
Firstly, if by "app" you mean the iPad app, yes, that is not full featured yet - you have to use the PC or Mac app for some things. You can do DCA's on the iPad app but it is quite unobvious (and rather cool) as to how you do it. You have to "Setup" "Channel Layout","Edit" - then drag and drop channels you want in a DCA on top of one another (the bar on the top of the channels will show you which you linked). when you goback to the main view you will see them linked - but you can temporarily unlink them there too so you can adjust the relative balance between them.  8)

walterw

• Padawan
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 04:47:17 AM »
Like most people, I intend to use many of the aux outs as monitor mixes. So it makes sense to be able to assign "effects" like feedback suppression and eq to these aux mixes.

I do not want to assign these "effects" to channels, because I do not want to affect the main mix, only the "monitor mix"
those aren't usually called "effects", and yes, there is parametric EQ (which is also "feedback suppression" when you know what you're doing) available on each aux output, so it controls only the monitors.

you set your auxes to be "pre-DSP" (which seems weird to me, isn't the entire system just "digital signal processing"?), so that the channel EQ and compressor doesn't affect what you hear in the monitor auxes.

so main EQ gets the overall system sounding good out front, say with a "flat" source like well-recorded music.

each channel EQ gets that channnel sounding right out front.

each aux output EQ gets the monitor to sound right, primarily with the main vocal that's loudest in it.

rhythmrider

• Youngling
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 04:57:18 PM »
Walterw, thanks for the great summary reply.
That pretty much sums up the answer to my questions in a very straightforward manner.