Author Topic: Wireless Setup via Airport Express (2nd Gen)  (Read 17840 times)

Fluddman

• Knight
Re: Wireless Setup via Airport Express (2nd Gen)
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 11:18:36 AM »
Sorry Kev, I don't understand what you mead about the Express does connect to the internet without another box? Mine does!

I have no problems with my Apple Airport routers, I have 1 x Express (with the DL1608 for three years, no issues) and 2 x Extremes, main home router and X32 Compact. I have a gen 6 Extreme on the way for the home network and the second Extreme will live with the Rack.

Sam,

From what I have read there is a known problem with some (but not all) X32s not liking the airport express unless an additional ethernet switch is used. It is certainly the case with my X32 rack. I don't think there is a problem using an Airport Extreme (indeed my X32 works fine with my Airport Extreme it just doesn't like the Airport Express) and I've also not heard of this problem affecting the DLs.

Cheers

« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 11:22:26 AM by Fluddman »

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 11:35:21 AM »
No wonder I have been going nuts trying to make the x32 work with my Airport express. I have spent hours trying different solutions and nothing worked. I finally went  back to my little Cisco router which worked fine.
I don't want to give up on the AE since I like the music send feature, I may have to look into this Ethernet switch thing. Any suggestions what to buy ?

As far as DL, the AE works flawlessly with it and always has. Since the DL is my most used mixer I am glad there is no conflicts with the router.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 11:40:33 AM »
No wonder I have been going nuts trying to make the x32 work with my Airport express. I have spent hours trying different solutions and nothing worked. I finally went  back to my little Cisco router which worked fine.
I don't want to give up on the AE since I like the music send feature, I may have to look into this Ethernet switch thing. Any suggestions what to buy ?

As far as DL, the AE works flawlessly with it and always has. Since the DL is my most used mixer I am glad there is no conflicts with the router.

I think pretty much anything will work - I think mine is a D-link. It was less than $20.

Re the X32, it took me a couple days to find this solution. I was going nuts until I found a post about it.

Cheers
Cheers

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 11:55:40 AM »
Yes, I've heard that but as I use an Airport Extreme for my X32s I haven't encountered the problem. I did try briefly to set the Express up on it when my old Vigor router started playing up on the first X32 (Compact) gig but time was short and I ran without WiFi that night. Since then the Extreme runs fine in the studio though I know they haven't had issues. I'll maybe try the Express again as I intend to carry it and the DL1608 as backup on X32 gigs (nowt like tried and tested :))

When my Gen 6 Extreme arrives for the home network I'll have a dedicated router for each desk to avoid any potential setup issues in the heat of the gig. Gen 5 Airport Extremes are pretty cheap (£30 ish) on ebay so it makes sense to have a spare anyway.

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 01:01:20 PM »
Hi Sam

I think what I meant  at the time was that, the express was not like the normal router modem wireless thingymmy that you get when you buy an Internet package, now I realise that many wireless routers are just that, wireless and a router.

Cheers

Kev

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 01:34:37 PM »
Not desiring to hijack this to a "fix my X problem" thread, so apologies are in order.

But since the X forum is so horribly unfriendly,  this is really helping a few of us out that have both mixers

I don't want to go to the Extreme since it has no headphone out jack (to stream music) so if I get a Ethernet switch how
does it wire to the A -Express and the x32?

Since my cheapo Cisco seems to work well and its only the 2.4 version maybe I'm
better off to forsake the music option and just buy  a more current dual band router that the X will be recognize.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2016, 04:29:42 PM »
Has anyone here bothered to check what firmware version you're on. This may explain some of the variations. Here are the instructions if you haven't.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201669
Apple like everyone else doesn't write perfect code and may have a update for your Apple router.
When in doubt KISS

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2016, 05:42:52 PM »
Hi Sam

I think what I meant  at the time was that, the express was not like the normal router modem wireless thingymmy that you get when you buy an Internet package, now I realise that many wireless routers are just that, wireless and a router.

Cheers

Kev

I think I get what you mean, but I don't think that's right, back when the AE was new you plugged it direct into your phone line via the WAN connector. OTOH, now with "fibre to the cabinet" you need another box between the copper and your router.

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 06:54:19 PM »
When I got the DL I had a cheap router which was fine. I upgraded to the A express and it was super easy to connect, assign a password and get working. I liked the ability to send music from my ipod/ipad direct to the board or adjust the volume from across the room.  That's the reason for wanting on the X32.  But since they wont play nice without a bunch more hardware and since the X32 stays in my rehearsal room, I will do without
the music option and just get a better router.  It's a shame that it doesn't work the way I planned. 

Since I'm not great with all these router settings like static IP and the other security stuff,  I should just leave well enough alone.
Maybe add the switch at some point in the future if I decide to use the X32 in a live situation.

Again...huge thanks for all the input, this was making me nuts thinking I was doing something totally wrong.  I'm really glad someone started this thread.

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2016, 07:53:53 PM »
Not desiring to hijack this to a "fix my X problem" thread, so apologies are in order.

But since the X forum is so horribly unfriendly,  this is really helping a few of us out that have both mixers

I don't want to go to the Extreme since it has no headphone out jack (to stream music) so if I get a Ethernet switch how
does it wire to the A -Express and the x32?

Since my cheapo Cisco seems to work well and its only the 2.4 version maybe I'm
better off to forsake the music option and just buy  a more current dual band router that the X will be recognize.

All you have to do is connect an Ethernet cable from the Airport Express to the switch and another cable from the X32 to the switch. The switches allow multiple devices to share an Internet connection and talk to each other..

Cheers

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2016, 09:25:14 PM »
That sounds exactly like a Ethernet multi port adaptor or expander. Is the switch any different ?

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2016, 10:18:10 PM »
That sounds exactly like a Ethernet multi port adaptor or expander. Is the switch any different ?

Same thing. Cheers.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2016, 12:57:59 AM »
There is a network cable and a network crossover cable. If you are hooking up straight to the WiFi router, you might be using the wrong cable.  Most people don't have crossover cables in their homes.  (Or tool boxes.  I have one and I have a need for it.)   you can use a crossover cable to connect two computers directly to each other.  (No hub.)    Most places do carry both, but the crossover cables will be in very small quantities and hopefully separated from the normal network cables.  This might be what you need to remove the hub from your mixing stack.

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2016, 01:19:41 AM »
There is a network cable and a network crossover cable. If you are hooking up straight to the WiFi router, you might be using the wrong cable.  Most people don't have crossover cables in their homes.  (Or tool boxes.  I have one and I have a need for it.)   you can use a crossover cable to connect two computers directly to each other.  (No hub.)    Most places do carry both, but the crossover cables will be in very small quantities and hopefully separated from the normal network cables.  This might be what you need to remove the hub from your mixing stack.

Hi Wynn, I doubt whether this is the problem as he does say that his cheap router works ok.

Cheers

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2016, 08:59:43 AM »
Most hubs/switches/routers/etc are self sensing and are happy with either a straight or crossover cable. The only hub I have that isn't is over 20 years old.

I certainly use a straight cables for my DL and both X32s without problems.