Live Performance & Production > Sound Reinforcement

Passive Speaker Connectors

<< < (2/2)

sam.spoons:
I have an old Quad 522 studio power amp, it's ex BBC and has male XLR speaker outs, a BBC mod. The BBC had a few mods including underrated O/P fuses to limit the continuos output, apparently (from an ex BBC engineer friend who just serviced it) the theory was they'd blow before terminal damage ocourred to the monitor speakers and it was cheaper to repair the amps than the speakers. Not sure if it worked though.

Greg C.:

--- Quote from: sam.spoons on April 25, 2013, 03:52:03 PM ---I have an old Quad 522 studio power amp, it's ex BBC and has male XLR speaker outs, a BBC mod.
--- End quote ---

If they were going to use XLRs as outputs, they should have used females as having exposed contacts like that can result in a shock or a short if junk gets into the socket. The EPs are giant XLRs. The backplane on my amp racks uses the female EPs for that reason. I can see how they would make that mistake since males connectors are traditionally for output. Or they might have been concerned someone might plug an XLR line input into the output. In any case, I'm glad nobody's doing it anymore.

sam.spoons:

--- Quote from: Greg C. on April 25, 2013, 04:13:22 PM ---
--- Quote from: sam.spoons on April 25, 2013, 03:52:03 PM ---I have an old Quad 522 studio power amp, it's ex BBC and has male XLR speaker outs, a BBC mod.
--- End quote ---

If they were going to use XLRs as outputs, they should have used females as having exposed contacts like that can result in a shock or a short if junk gets into the socket. The EPs are giant XLRs. The backplane on my amp racks uses the female EPs for that reason. I can see how they would make that mistake since males connectors are traditionally for output. Or they might have been concerned someone might plug an XLR line input into the output. In any case, I'm glad nobody's doing it anymore.

--- End quote ---

Agreed, and I will get around to changing them sometime but as it's a fixed install it's not really too much of a problem.

The EAW 850's have female output and male on the inputs but they are carrying significant voltages compared to my old Quad.

Greg C.:

--- Quote from: sam.spoons on April 25, 2013, 08:04:35 PM ---Agreed, and I will get around to changing them sometime but as it's a fixed install it's not really too much of a problem.

The EAW 850's have female output and male on the inputs but they are carrying significant voltages compared to my old Quad.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, the Rat Trap 5s I have with my EP8 connectors also have both genders on the back. But I use the male as the input so that the females are always output for pass-through/daisy chaining. Those boxes are 4-way amplified with good sized amps, so there is significant voltage on the pins for the 15s and 10s which could hurt a bit if you touched them. The pins for the 2" and 1" compression drivers might give you a slight tingle. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version