Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Digital Trim

<< < (2/8) > >>

sam.spoons:
My X32 only has trim controls on the line inputs, where it is before the channel meter. Effectively it replaces the gain control which would be there on a mic channel. As the mic gains are digitally controlled on the X32 trims are unnecessary on the mic channels. On the DL I'd hope they'd suppliment the non-recallable gains and allow you use the channel meters to see your input levels (maybe bypassing them when a channel is soloed so you can still check the real preamp gains).

Robert:
Can you Solo the channel and look at the LR output meter for an indication of the trim effect?

robbocurry:

--- Quote from: robbocurry on November 24, 2014, 08:53:22 PM ---I'd like it post so I can see it taking "effect".
Easier to keep tabs on things imho
It's caught me out a few times already on mic channels. The channel seems to have a good level, pop off the mute and it's too low. Would be a major bummer in that situation if it was way too loud :-[

--- End quote ---
Typo, obviously ment pre not post vu (as you probably guessed from my gripe)b ;D

sam.spoons:

--- Quote from: Robert on November 25, 2014, 02:08:31 AM ---Can you Solo the channel and look at the LR output meter for an indication of the trim effect?

--- End quote ---

I'd have thought it would be better the other way around but I haven't plucked up the courage to install MF3 yet in case my slow old iPads (2 and 3) become crippled. The iPad 3 is on iOS 6 so will have to make the jump to iOS 8 before I can get MF3.

I use solo to set the gains on my analogue desks and also my X32. That way you get the big main meter instead of the little channel meters showing the preamp level. Of course that's less of an issue on the DL as the channel meters are the same size as the mains.

WK154:
If you can spare an aux then you can monitor the post trim levels without possible DSP processing effects as long as Mackie saw fit to include the trim before the "pre" aux pick-off point. Simple test if you have MF 3 loaded. It's a band-aid solution to real digitally controlled preamps anyways best used with your ears. No fear of clipping using trim the numbers are too small to exceed internal processing limits. Too bad their block diagram isn't current.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version