Author Topic: And Old is New Again  (Read 2290 times)

James91104

• Knight
And Old is New Again
« on: January 07, 2016, 06:00:31 PM »
understandably out of forum topic bounds, though I thought worth the mention:

http://www.kodak.com/ek/US/en/corp/press_center/Kodak_Launches_Super_8_Filmmaking_Revival_Initiative_at_CES_2016/default.htm

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/ces-jj-abrams-backs-kodak-852128

With the seemingly cyclical penchant for retro branding amongst marketing departments, can the DL series qualify with the resident `Retro Verb' ?  ;)

Michael Welter

• Knight
Re: And Old is New Again
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 06:13:41 PM »
That's very interesting. Like many of us older folks, I shot a lot of Super 8 film many years ago. I still have boxes of movies that I shot that way. But, at $10 for 3 minutes of footage, it was much cheaper to use VHS cameras when they became available, and then digital after that. I think they'll have an uphill battle convincing the younger crowd to use Super 8.
Mackie Junkie

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 06:40:08 PM »
Does that mean I can get out of mothballs my 8mm hand crank Zeiss no sound or my L1 Cannon waste of $$, oh and dust off my splicer? IIRC didn't Kodak go into chapter 11? Do they want to finish the job with chapter 7? Bankruptcy for those that may be unfamiliar with the terms. Do most of these testimonial guys still have Kodak stock?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 06:42:54 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 11:56:47 PM »
Crank away William  ;) I would guess the Super8 format patent was not sold off. Bankruptcy is the American thing to do of course, if no profitable success in suing, another classic American pursuit. If those chaps don`t have any stock now, I`m sure they can muster a buy of a few at the current $11 USD market share price.

And for shits and giggles how is this for another old is new again item, just in time for this US Presidential election year.  :eek:

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2016/01/hitler-manifesto-mein-kampf-bookstores-160106122555653.html

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 07:13:27 PM »
There's a lot of confusion about Kodak companies right now. They've sold of some of the product lines into different companies, each of which also has the rights to use the Kodak name. For instance, films are now a company called Kodak Alaris, and digital action cameras are now called Kodak PixPro (a different company). Super8 seems to be falling under plain old Kodak. And, "Kodak" Kodak still seems to hold some of the IP for the films, despite Alaris making it.
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA