Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Who's gone from a DL1608 to a DL32R (or even an X32 rack)

<< < (2/10) > >>

Fluddman:
Thank for the replies.

WK - no doubt the X32 is more powerful, more pro and offers a lot more options for expansion. It still only has 16 preamps so I would need the S16.

The DL32R provides the extra preamps and sends I need but it is mostly more of the same compared to the DL1608 (obvious exceptions being recallable gains and phantom power switchable on each channel).

At the moment I can get the DL32R for about the same price as the X32 Rack but an X32 and S16 are a lot more expensive.

I think it will come down to whether I want to trade off the familiarity and ease of use of the Mackie for the power and features packed into the X32.

stevegarris - thanks. It it were just preamps the DL32R would be the easy winner. The more I explore the X32 the more I like it - especially the options for effects. The DL is really lacking in this department.

robbocurry - thanks for the suggestion I'll check it out

Cheers

Rdmitch:
I am also toying with the idea of moving to the DL32 from the DL16 but have a few limitations still keeping me from pulling the trigger.  The biggest problem I see is that I can not hard wire an iPad to it. So if the router dies for any reason I'm up a creek, I can't put myself in that situation. A direct connect jack would easily solve this issue.  Additionally, I would like to see the FX upgraded .

On a good note, I would stay with the Mackie line as I have run literally hundreds of jobs flawlessly with the DL series and I feel the mackie app is far superior to the others for functionality and ease of use. The support and software upgrades have been steady and beneficial.

I run the mix for 2 other bands for 50+ shows a year, both have switched to the Mackie DL after seeing the results I got with mine.  Being that I now use their gear and no longer have to carry any gear other than my iPad it would be hypocrical to switch from what I have helped promote them to use.  When I have used other gear I was not overly impressed with the app, or the quality of the board. The X-32 had great features but I still believe it is built inferior.  I have had multiple mechanical problems with input jacks and faders.  The Midas M-32 seemed solider.

Since so much of my mixing has been for others...using their DL  ( I'm trying to wean off of playing myself these days) it seems to make little sense to invest in a piece of gear I won't use much. However, if the price stayed reasonable and the options I mentioned came to pass I would most likely upgrade, just to have the new toy.

pytchley:
Hey Beno, I know I'm repeating myself (again) but if you're reading this you will have read the earlier posts in this thread and you must have noticed that you are loosing sales because of your sh$$ty f***ing reverb, including from me. I don't see much point in using an external reverb unit as you're going to be stuck with one patch all night. I suppose you could recycle that old 10u case you don't need anymore and have a rack for each patch!

WK154:
Rdmitch I can see your dilemma regarding your recommendations. As far as "superior", "functionality" or "build quality" I would have to disagree with you on that. The DL1608 is mostly plastic while the X32 and X-air are metal short of trim. I heard more complaints about connector issues here than on Behringer sites. Functionality speaks for itself not even in the same league. UI is nothing to write home about especially "Glow and Grow" fortunately you still have your ears to compensate. Software adjustable preamps are IMHO overrated if you know your equipment. Hopefully you don't mix by adjusting preamps that's what faders are for once a proper gain structure is in place. The upgrades have been once a year for point releases hopefully Mackie can retain that pace.

Rdmitch:
While the x32 is a nice board, I am not looking for a piece of furniture. My comparison would be limited to compact or rack mounted units. If it was for fixed installation or studio use, I would be right there with you on the X-32 or M-32 or Presonus.  While the Mackie may have more plastic components, I have yet to have input jacks pull out of the chassis or knobs break off under minimal pressure. Both these have happened on Behringer mixers. Frankly, while B. makes a well prices product with loads of features, I personally have had very bad luck with their products  (except my dual 15 band eq  that has lasted forever) and even worse luck with warranty repairs. Their X-rack series is loaded with great features, but look how long it took to get released after promises made. The original app was horrid and updates have been far between. It just seems like their fulfillment of promises is not as much of a priority to them as I would like to see. 

I have dragged, dropped, abused my pod DL in just about every state on the eastern coast and have yet to have a failure. I still always carry my spare Yamaha and always will recommend a back up board.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version