Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Pin One Problem on DL1608

<< < (2/15) > >>

Topsøe:
@WK154
Can you make a sketch ?

RoadRanger:

--- Quote from: WK154 on May 31, 2013, 05:23:11 AM ---No where did I make that statement?
--- End quote ---
You seem to be reluctant to tell us which particular supplies you are testing and how they differ from the "stock" supply.
--- Quote ---Because the power supplies don't bring the safety ground to the minus lead into the mixer (except for Mackie's). It's called isolation.
--- End quote ---
Some Behringer mixers with external supplies use a three wire connector so that the safety ground can be brought into the mixer separately from the minus (as is proper). Your contention seems to now be that Mackie could ship power supplies with no connection between the minus and safety ground. I doubt they could do that and still pass CE tests :(.

WK154:
RR: I must have ESP, I answered your question before you asked it!

"You seem to be reluctant to tell us which particular supplies you are testing and how they differ from the "stock" supply.
My Quote from prior post
    Because the power supplies don't bring the safety ground to the minus lead into the mixer (except for Mackie's). It's called isolation."

I hope that answers your question.
I have 4 supplies that I've used for testing including the original. I will publish the results soon. Real world numbers not theory or FUD.

Model #1206 LCD AC Adapter 3 prong (Amazon 9.39 + 8 for ship)
Model ST-C-075-12000600CT 2 prong (Internet ~10.00 inc. ship)
Xpower Model 305D lab supply (69.00)
APX SP50Q912LR Mackie original (~70.00 from a post)
I'm sure the model # will make a difference (or at least shut you up).

BTW these are only part of the power supply used to get around bureaucracy testing. There is no 12V used in the mixer except for the intermediate stage of several power supplies (DC to DC Converters). 48V phantom power, 5V for iPad charging, 3.3V for digital logic, +- 15V for the analog section. The grounds from these are tied to chassis ground and chassis ground should be tied to AC safety ground. That's the way it's been done for decades. The DL pulls about 1.5 - 2.5 amps @ 12V depending on loading for those interested.

If you purchase a supply be certain that the connector is a 5.5mm/2.5mm variety. RFI magnetic s on the cable would also help. As to the approval by such agencies as CE or UL etc. there are over several hundred million of these out in the world. CE and UL think there safe. There was a post regarding the power connector being unreliable and having to spread the pin to make it work. Loose the retaining nut it's the cause. The replacements don't have one. It won't let the connector contacts centering work properly. If your really concerned about someone pulling out the power cord, well that's why God made gaffer tape.

If your impatient about the frequency of my posts rest assured that this is NOT at the top of my priority list.

RoadRanger:
Thanks! I'll put my tooth extractor away now ;).

... or not, still can't find the listing for this one:
Model #1206 LCD AC Adapter 3 prong (Amazon 9.39 + 8 for ship)
That's the one I'd be most interested in - a 3 prong with no connection between the output and safety ground. :)

And it doesn't matter if the supply is CE approved (although that's a necessary start), the whole shebang has to pass as a system. I walked a product with a line wart through CE testing just the summer before last x(. It was a home medical product, the testing requirements were particularly tough :o.

WK154:
For medical products that's another can of worms. That's why you see a lot of legalese about use of products not fit for life dependent use. So what medical use have you found for the DL? Colonoscopy? The Amazon product for 9.39 comes from several vendors and Amazon doesn't list their model # that's why I said it's pot luck. I e-mailed the folks at APX who have been quite helpful to see if they have a model SP50D1R912LR where the L stands for low ripple/noise. To date the 2 prong unit has the best real world results (excluding the lab supply).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version