Author Topic: EQ’ing multiple songs  (Read 12734 times)

Jooles15

• Youngling
Re: EQ’ing multiple songs
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2018, 08:42:29 PM »
Got it. Post fader 👍😁

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2018, 04:20:46 AM »
understanding a VCA...

imagine an analog soundboard in a church with four choir mics...
every time the choir sings, we bring up all four choir mic faders...
use scotch tape to attach a pencil to all four faders...

we have now "assigned" all four choir faders to the pencil (VCA)...

when we grab the pencil and raise and lower the faders, all four faders move in tandem.

That is how a VCA works.

Audio signals of the choir microphones never pass through the VCA (pencil)...
The pencil is simply a remote control that remotely controls faders that are (taped) assigned to it.

Instead of assigning all the drum mics to a group which is so common, try assigning them to a VCA instead, that way, as you raise and lower the DRUMS VCA,
the reverb of the drums will also change accordingly, provided the reverb sends are "post fader" as they should be. 
That's it.........  8)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wf02zpVb30" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wf02zpVb30</a>
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 05:47:08 AM by dpdan »

Jooles15

• Youngling
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2018, 06:01:48 PM »
Thanks.

Okay, got another. Got my PA running off L and R main and Stage monitors off Aux 1 and 2. I’ve set Aux 1 and 2 to Post Fader. I’ve now found that when I EQ a channel in either Main, Aux 1 or Aux 2, it also alters the EQ in the same channel in the other 2. How do I change this so I can EQ each independently?

ToH2002

• Padawan
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2018, 07:00:11 PM »
I’ve now found that when I EQ a channel in either Main, Aux 1 or Aux 2, it also alters the EQ in the same channel in the other 2. How do I change this so I can EQ each independently?

No straightforward way to do this - there's only one EQ per channel, not multiple instances (which you'd need if you wanted to have independent EQ settings per output).

There are two ways around this:

1. One typical approach is to make your monitor outputs pre-eq and pre-fader - this means that any changes a sound man makes to tune the sound for the audience doesn't affect your monitor channels. This also means that you don't have any EQ on the individual signals you use for your monitor and that you need to set your levels independently - something a lot of artists like, because they don't want the soundman lowering their levels for the audience affect their monitor signal. But that seems to be contrary to what you wanted to achieve with setting auxes to post-fader

2. if you have enough channels, you can use multiple copies of the same input signal (simply patch the same input to multiple channels) so you have e.g. "Vocals P.A.", "Vocals monitor" on separate channels on your mixer. This means that you can eq (and compress!) them differently between audience and monitor, but it also means that you won't get the corresponding fader volumes between P.A. and monitor that you want to have.

Cheers,

Torsten
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 08:41:41 PM by ToH2002 »

Jooles15

• Youngling
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2018, 07:44:59 PM »
Okay, thank you. It was a ‘nice to do if possible’ so no worries.