Author Topic: Ran into a bug (or two) with MF 4?  (Read 1891 times)

JMc

• Padawan
Ran into a bug (or two) with MF 4?
« on: January 18, 2016, 05:57:57 AM »
We've done a couple of gigs with Master Fader 4 since it was released and it has been pretty straightforward, but last night, I had a couple of very strange problems.  The Mute groups were not muting the audio in the grouped channels when selected.  All the channels would turn red, indicating they were muted, but the audio was NOT muted.  I rebooted my iPad, and tried again, but to no avail.  Also, the intermission music channel is weighing heavily in one channel, even though the music fader is set to equal balance.  The levels look fairly even in channel mix, but get way out of whack in the main LR mix.  I checked all connections, cables, etc., and verified that both speakers were firing equally with every other channel in the PA - mics, instruments, etc., but only the music channel was having the output problem.  Thoughts?

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
Re: Ran into a bug (or two) with MF 4?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 07:50:24 AM »
Hi JMc,
I don't know if you have a DL1608 or a DL32R, you didn't mention but regardless, this is not normal for MF4 on either mixer.
I use my DL32R on average a half dozen times per month and have never experienced those two issues.
Just because I have not does not mean that those are not real issues for you. I would suggest calling Mackie
and let them know what experience you had. In the mean time, I would make a backup of the shows on your iPad
and then delete the app and reinstall it. It makes no sense about mute lights being on yet audio is not muted from those channels.

Make sure that your input routing is set to default.

Mackie Service (800) 898-3211
Monday - Friday 8am-4pm Pacific Time

JMc

• Padawan
Re: Ran into a bug (or two) with MF 4?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 05:04:49 PM »
Sorry about that.  DL32R.  First time this has ever happened.  Very strange.  I'll call support right now and see what they have to say.  Probably going to tell me something similar to what you just suggested.

(10 min. later)

Got off the phone with Paul, who was very helpful.  He's as stumped about the muting issue as I am and suggested clearing all the mute groups, and reassigning, or switching over to the default show settings to see if muting works there.  I think he provided the answer to my intermission imbalance problem though...  I did not see the L-R buttons at the top of the Return channel panel for adjusting the trim.  So, when I was attempting to adjust the trim to deal with the hot levels I was seeing on the metering, I was only adjusting the trim on one side.  D'oh!   I had mistakenly thought that the single trim adjustment was affecting both side equally.  Also, I learned that the trim is post meter, so even though the signal on the music is being trimmed, it will not show it on the (Intermission Music) Return metering, which is kind of a drag, but not a huge deal, I guess.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 05:26:52 PM by JMc »