Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Phantom Power ?

<< < (2/6) > >>

RoadRanger:
IME the only "advantage" of a condenser overhead is that it picks up the cymbals better - but also IME the cymbals are picked up plenty good by the vocal mics on-stage and you end up EQing out the highs from the overhead anyways :o . I often run just a kick mic and an overhead so I'm more trying to get the toms as they are usually the one thing too quiet :( .

dpdan:
RR,
when I don't have enough inputs for all the drum mics that I want, I don't purposely mic the cymbals. I use kick (Shure Beta 52A) snare Beyer Opus 87, and Beyer Opus 87 on toms that are Y corded into one input. This gets everything mic'd and sounding awesome,... and only using three channels. The ticket is to use good sounding condenser mics on the toms and snare since the cymbals are going to leak into the tom mics anyway, at least the leaking cymbals have nice "studio quality". Dynamic microphones always have inadequate high frequency detail compared to condenser mics, especially with cymbals. I clip the Opus 87 snare mic onto the snare and point it so that it picks up the Hi-hat also (on purpose), but not the gap between the Hi hats (to eliminate blasts of air) this one mic covers the snare and hat. The mounted toms share an Opus 87 mic as do the floor tom/s, this is better anyway since there would be some phase related issues if we mic'd the toms separately... a win win situation!

These mics are made by Beyer Dynamic and are now called TG D57c.
The brand name "Beyer Dynamic" is not to be confused with dynamic microphones, these are not dynamic mics they are condenser, and need phantom power.

You owe it to yourself to buy at least one and try it on toms or snare. I have also used them inside a grand piano clamped onto the frame of the piano, this allows the lid to becompletely closed and the useable level is unreal! If you buy one and don't like it, I will buy it from you.

Dan

WK154:
OK! I know your not Dan Jordan and certainly not Jim Raycroft that's were I run out of Dapper Dan names. All this from four part Harmony?  Please if you can explain your  "I use kick (Shure Beta 52A) snare Beyer Opus 87, and Beyer Opus 87 on toms that are Y corded into one input.  " Tying outputs together is not a recommended practice, that's what mixers are for. I have dealt with Barbershop for 30+ yrs. and always with surprises.

dpdan:
Hi WK,
DP Dan is for Digital Performer Dan  :)
I make all my own cables, adaptors etc, I use a Y cord that has two female XLRs terminating to a single male XLR.

As long as the microphones that are connected to the Y cord are the same model, everything is fine.
There are people that will say "you can't do that, the impedance will be blah blah blah"...  and that's true, but we can do that without harming anything.

I've used Y cords with mics for ages like this and it's all good.
Dan

WK154:
Hi Digital Performer Dan Not a former Dapper Dan?. It's not that you would damage anything it's just two impedance's in parallel but there is of course no individual control over each Mic. Mic placement would definitely be crucial. The mics would also have to be well matched in frequency response to sound good. Lots of XY mics out there but none I'm aware of have a single output. There must be a reason for that I just can't remember.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version