Author Topic: Master Fader V1.4 Is Here !  (Read 69227 times)

lightguy48

• Padawan
Re: Master Fader V1.4 Is Here !
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2013, 02:48:58 PM »
Yeah, but those guys have real surfaces to fall back on when the excrement hits the fan!

Not when the M7 is on stage and they're at their 'virtual' FOH a few hundred feet away. 

The 24.4.2 in town at one venue is in a tech booth that is no where near where a FOH would typically sit (which is where their bar is) so unless you want to sprint across the room knocking down patrons to get to the 24.4.2 the iPad is also the FOH for this venue.

In both cases, they're not walking around with the iPad to check levels and then walking back to the FOH, there is no FOH, it's all on the iPad

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2013, 03:03:45 PM »
Hey, each to their own :)
I suppose it would depend on the show, just don't know if it would be for me. Maybe if I had an array of iPads.....?
The older I get, the better I was!

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2013, 03:11:45 PM »
I prefer a real control surface whenever possible. And when I don't have one, the preamps really do need to be controllable on the virtual surface. I will get the ix16 when it does ship just for that reason.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 03:18:04 PM by Greg C. »
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »
My main thing is fix the pre/post aux issues, in fact how about some real options for pre/post on every channel instead of across the entire aux bus, this is pretty standard on most other digital mixers.
Yes! I do hope they don't cheese out on that :( . Things like the kick drum HAVE TO BE post EQ and maybe even post comp. Keys I usually take post comp except in the keyboardist's monitor feed. Even on the FX buses I want to be able to take the horns pre-fader sometimes. A bit more work that just having them globally switched but why not try to be as good as the iX16 where they can be? :)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2013, 03:23:28 PM »
I prefer a real control surface whenever possible. And when I don't have one, the preamps really do need to be controllable on the virtual surface. I will get the ix16 when it does ship just for that reason.
I hope they look into adding some "virtual" trim in like Software Audio Console uses. Not perfect but it does somewhat mitigate the lack of remotable headamps :) . Something like 9 dB of "cut" (to "fix" the iPad channel :)) and 18 dB of "boost" in 3 dB increments would make me happy enough. Of course, as you changed this "on the fly" the faders would have to track the change like they do on a "Big Boy's" mixer ;) .
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 03:46:09 PM by RoadRanger »

lightguy48

• Padawan
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2013, 03:25:09 PM »
I hope they look into adding some "virtual" trim in like Software Audio Console uses. Not perfect but it does somewhat mitigate the lack of remotable headamps :) .

That would be really nice, I'm just surprised with everything they put in this mixer that they didn't add recallable preamps, it's so easy there is really no excuse...

But a digital trim would be equally nice.

lightguy48

• Padawan
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2013, 03:28:37 PM »
Hey, each to their own :)
I suppose it would depend on the show, just don't know if it would be for me. Maybe if I had an array of iPads.....?

I think most people do like individual faders, however, that seems to be fading into the past.  Even large digital consoles don't typically give you direct access to all of the faders at once, you generally have a few layers or pages of faders, no different than an iPad.

Now the better consoles will typically allow you to pick a few priority channels that will carry over no matter what page or layer you're working on, that would be a nice iPad feature, i.e. to always have your two or three vocal channels always on the left side of the screen.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2013, 03:43:19 PM »
I'm just surprised with everything they put in this mixer that they didn't add recallable preamps, it's so easy there is really no excuse...
It actually isn't that easy - AFAIK there are no "off the shelf" inexpensive chips to do that. Behringer probably had a custom designed for their X32 and are only able to afford to put it in the iX16 because it already exists and the incremental cost to make more is fairly low. It would be a HUGE investment for Mackie to do the same - but if they are going to come out with a TT24 replacement they'll have to. Interestingly enough that mixer also had its aux sends post EQ and comp :o .

lightguy48

• Padawan
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2013, 03:53:00 PM »
It actually isn't that easy - AFAIK there are no "off the shelf" inexpensive chips to do that. Behringer probably had a custom designed for their X32 and are only able to afford to put it in the iX16 because it already exists and the incremental cost to make more is fairly low. It would be a HUGE investment for Mackie to do the same - but if they are going to come out with a TT24 replacement they'll have to. Interestingly enough that mixer also had its aux sends post EQ and comp :o .

There is several ways to do it, including varying the gain of a preamp, this can be done with electronic variable resistor, such as Behringer modification that people do to create a recallable preamp on the SAC consoles.

It could have been done if they wanted to, but it does add cost and they probably wanted to keep it at low as possible.

CyberHippy

• Padawan
  • Bass Bass Bass
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2013, 04:48:53 PM »
With groups and/or DCA's you can have everything you need to "ride" on one page so higher channel counts aren't a problem 8) .

Ding ding ding!

With a couple of improvements this software could easily be used to run a 24, 32, 40, 48 or even 60 channel version of the board.

If they released a 3210 version with a couple of software improvements (Groups layer?) I'd be first in line. Especially if they added a delay option to the sends for remote speakers.

But they seem to be going the other direction at the moment...

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2013, 05:07:36 PM »
Yup, the DL806 definitely makes me wonder what they were smoking the day they came up with that :o .

AbbaAgain

• Pint #1
  • Padawan
    • Abba Again
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2013, 11:56:59 AM »
I've got to say for now, 1.4v almost covers every thing I need. It would be nice if they brought out an App to run on a Mac or PC, even if it was just to monitor levels on channels and aux. What would be really sweet is if you could plug a manual control surface via midi/USB into the computer to run the app. A 'plug in' control surface  with all channels avalable would open me up to the possablility of using the DL1608 in small theatre productions.

frede

• Youngling
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2013, 12:56:15 PM »
Yup, the DL806 definitely makes me wonder what they were smoking the day they came up with that :o .
Yea, too bad the DL806, wasn't sized down to iPad Mini size, would have been perfect size and I would buy several.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2013, 03:10:26 PM »
Yea, too bad the DL806, wasn't sized down to iPad Mini size, would have been perfect size and I would buy several.
Now that would have been cool 8) . As it is, the DL806 is so close in price to the DL1608 (especially if you factor in the iPad purchase) that there's no reason not to just get the DL1608 x( .

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2013, 03:29:26 PM »

That would be a very cool little mixer!
The older I get, the better I was!