Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

recording volume/playback very low

(1/7) > >>

mr.happy:
Hey all, very new to the makie1608 but impressed.Tried recording last night,just pushed the botton and that was it. I thought.I found the file and listened to it ,could hardly hear it .Is there a level slider or something? Thank you for any helpo you can give me.

Wynnd:
Somewhere in the forum, they said that the recording wasn't controlled by the master LR at all.  If you're not using most of the gain in the trim and channel outs, it might result in a very low volume output.  I've experienced the same thing, but have enough gain available to bring it up to a viable level to listen to.

Jerrylee:
You can do a few things to make this better.

1) keep as is and normalize the file.
2) get you input and mix levels to a higher level.
3) my favorite way. Use an aux or two as your mains and create a separate recording mix with the mains. This way you can get levels high without affecting output. And you can create a better sounding recording mix.

WK154:
Sounds to me like a gain structure problem. Nothing wrong with the LR bus levels unless you have the afore mentioned problem. The lame Mackie record function takes the signal off the main LR bus after the mains compressor and GEQ and records it (0 on the strip gets you -16dB FS or about 4-6 dBu on this mixer in the file). The vague diagram for recording on pg 136 of the manual. It would have been nice to at least display the LR bus loudness in the iPad meter when recording. The only level control that you have is from the channel strips compressor and GEQ. The main LR fader has nothing to do with recording. The biggest problem is the round about way of playback. Apple handed Mackie the code on a silver platter since iOS 2 but it must have been a rush job just to say that you can record. If you need to play immediately after recording use one of the many free apps that allow this. What I don't understand is that a company that relies on the iPad as a necessary part of the equipment to function ignores the most basic features provided by the iPad and that is core audio. Why would you try to reinvent the wheel when a company that knows it's own product better than Mackie ever will provides you with the code to deal with audio. It also opens up access to many other uses for the DL in the audio world. Even if you're not a programmer here is the link to Apples overview of their audio concept most of it available since iOS2.   https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/MusicAudio/Conceptual/AudioUnitHostingGuide_iOS/AudioUnitHostingFundamentals/AudioUnitHostingFundamentals.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40009492-CH3-SW11
or the more general:
https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/MusicAudio/Conceptual/AudioUnitHostingGuide_iOS/Introduction/Introduction.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40009492

Keyboard Magic:
This may be a really noob question, but aren't the recording levels tapped off the same preamps as the main output? There really shouldn't be such a big difference between the two. Usually on an analog mixer the line outs (and RCA stereo outs) should receive the same signal levels as the main outputs? Yes, there is usually, but not always a physical level control on the RCA (record) and line outs.

It's not a big deal for me particularly, since if I need to do a quick recording session I can use the main outs to an external USB recording device to my laptop, running my DAW etc. etc. etc.  ???

If I am totally out in left field with my assumptions, I stand (or sit) corrected and would really appreciate being educated on this particular issue with the DL.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version