Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Aux fed sub - one or two lines in?

(1/10) > >>

websterama:
Hi,

First time poster.
Did search for answer to this question, but no luck (perhaps because it's such an obvious/stupid one).
I'm going to be using my 1608 for my daughter's band next week.
I've done that a couple times already, with no issues, but i'm adding a new piece to the puzzle and don't want to screw things up.
We use 2 JBLPRX712s and we've just added a single sub, the JBL PRX715 xlf.
I know the default/path of least resistance is to just to run the main L/R outs  into the sub, and then feed the mains (with the subs built in cross-over handling things).
The sub has two inputs and passthroughs for this purpose.

But from what I've read I might get better (if not simpler) results by feeding the sub from the aux outs, enabling me to only send the instruments I want (kick, bass, floor tom?).

My question is this:
The band has a keyboard player that uses true stereo out with panning effects.
I'll be feeding that into the 1608 by linking two of the 1/4" inputs. Simple enough.
My question is whether I should be adding the keyboard to the sub-aux mix?
And if I so, would that mean I should be feeding a stereo signal into the sub by using two of the aux outs, linked?
Or just feed the sub a single aux-out and assume the board is mixing down both channels of the keyboard into a single mono out for the sub-aux?

Sorry if this is a super naive question, I just would like this to go smoothly and sound great and i've got a new variable in the mix.
And if there's a general primer on best practices in doing aux-send to sub, could you point me to it?

thanks!

Greg C.:
Feed each channel of the stereo keys to the mono sub send. No need to burn up a 2nd aux. Since you'll be sending 2 channels of sub send from the same source, you might need to drop the sub send level to -3dB on each channel since they'll be summing at the aux send.

websterama:
Thanks!
That's very helpful. Makes sense.
With regard to setting levels for the sub-mix, is there a best practice for  that?
I mean what to set the gain at on the sub itself vs. what to send out via master fader.
And i'm assuming, during the performance, that the one "drawback" of this kind of operation is that when I adjust the volume of the mains that has no impact on what I'm sending to the sub right? So i'll need to adjust those two things manually in tandem?

Greg C.:
On most mix desks these days with good noise floors, I always run the main outs at unity anyway as well as the aux masters. On bigger desks, I'll assign a VCA/DCA to the mains and sub aux so that in the event I need to drop the levels to the mains, I can track both subs and tops with one control. As far as setting the sub level, you'll just have to "ear-ball" it with a known music source and set the sub so it's balanced with the tops relative to what you're playing. You can use measurement gear if you're so inclined. Make sure you high pass your tops properly since you're not using the crossover in the sub to do it.

websterama:
Thanks, that's helpful guidance. Looking forward to putting this sub into service on Friday :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version