Author Topic: The mackie dl1608 white noise saga! (A new member, who has been a lurker)  (Read 53919 times)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: A new member, who has been a lurker.
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2014, 01:30:24 PM »
Just curious if you force closed all the apps and told the iPad to not connect automagically to new networks detected - plus told it to forget all known networks? Then reboot the iPad, this seems to get mine reliable - read through the list of FAQs here :) . Oh, and maybe put it in "airplane" mode too?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 01:33:17 PM by RoadRanger »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2014, 01:43:15 PM »
Airplane mode will shut off WiFi access.  (And probably bluetooth too.)   One of these days, airplane mode won't turn off the WiFi.  Might just vanish totally because no-one uses it or needs it anymore.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2014, 02:35:24 PM »
Airplane mode will shut off WiFi access.  (And probably bluetooth too.)   One of these days, airplane mode won't turn off the WiFi.  Might just vanish totally because no-one uses it or needs it anymore.
He's docked so doesn't need WiFi. These !@#$%^ Apple devices seem hell-bent on connecting to random WifI networks if you don't tell them not to :( .

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2014, 03:29:35 PM »
Mate here are some thoughts on your problem. Contact Ben Olswang at Mackie and offer your unit to his engineers since they seem to have difficulty reproducing the condition. Money back and other expenses paid. If your turned down we at least know that they already know the answer. I am not discounting the idea that it is temperature related it may just not be ambient triggered. There were times in the past that we ran computationally intensive tasks to stress CPU's to weed out the problem ones. A couple of thermocouples on the chips would tell the story. I'm sure you're not set up to do that. Warranty exchange being your only other option (PITA) might get you one that behaves better.
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2014, 04:00:14 PM »
A couple of thermocouples on the chips would tell the story.
That's sooo last century - An FLIR camera is the way to go these days. Plus it makes pretty pictures for the MBA's - just add circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back and you're golden ;) .

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2014, 04:09:47 PM »
Just buy a QU-16 and be done with it!
New features just added with v1.5 software and it's an Allen & Heath ;)
The older I get, the better I was!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2014, 04:15:32 PM »
A couple of thermocouples on the chips would tell the story.
That's sooo last century - An FLIR camera is the way to go these days. Plus it makes pretty pictures for the MBA's - just add circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back and you're golden ;) .
Yeah just how do you propose to get your expensive toy inside a functional DL to take pics? The CIA may have something that might do the job.  ;)
When in doubt KISS

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2014, 04:36:50 PM »
It might be helpful if those who have experienced the issue post the date purchased and the serial number (or at least the part of the serial number which codes the manufacturing date, anybody know which this is?). That way we could see if the problem afflicts randomly or is only with newer units.

I've just put my iPad2/iOS7 setup docked and playing background music while I noodle around doing stuff just to see if I really am free of the issue. I'll try the iPad3/iOS6 another day.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2014, 04:40:46 PM »
Yeah just how do you propose to get your expensive toy inside a functional DL to take pics? The CIA may have something that might do the job.  ;)
Oops, I assumed that you could run it open somehow.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2014, 04:42:40 PM »
In any case I'd guess it's the iPad not the DL "doing it".

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2014, 09:35:56 PM »
Mackie engineering better have a open setup but you always get surprises when packaged. I thought we established it's in the DL since other interfaces had no problem with it (ie. X32, etc.).
When in doubt KISS

iBloke

« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2014, 12:56:45 AM »
Just curious if you force closed all the apps and told the iPad to not connect automagically to new networks detected - plus told it to forget all known networks? Then reboot the iPad, this seems to get mine reliable - read through the list of FAQs here :) . Oh, and maybe put it in "airplane" mode too?

All other apps force closed. Only music and mackie apps open.

It's always in airplane mode since I removed the SIM card. Although I have to have WiFi enabled so that I can get my iPhone and iPad mini to wirelessly connect.

Rebooted all devices several times.

Next experiment will be to restore docked iPad to new, and re-download mackie app which will be the only non standard app on the iPad.

I've also checked the dock connector with a magnifying glass. Looks clean.

iBloke

« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2014, 12:59:40 AM »
Mate here are some thoughts on your problem. Contact Ben Olswang at Mackie and offer your unit to his engineers since they seem to have difficulty reproducing the condition. Money back and other expenses paid. If your turned down we at least know that they already know the answer. I am not discounting the idea that it is temperature related it may just not be ambient triggered.

I will do that.

And in regard to the temperature thing, I booted everything up from cold and within 2 mins got the first white noise blast for the day.

iBloke

« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2014, 01:03:33 AM »
Just buy a QU-16 and be done with it!
New features just added with v1.5 software and it's an Allen & Heath ;)

Would love to buy QU-16 but down here in Aus they are around the $3000 mark.

That's nearly 3 times the price I paid for the mackie.

I simply don't have that kinda money.

iBloke

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2014, 01:12:57 AM »
In any case I'd guess it's the iPad not the DL "doing it".

There could be some possibility of that.

I have an old apple iPhone dock. The one with the removeable plastic inserts to suit any model 30 pin iPhone.

I use it in the shed to charge my old 3GS which has been retired to iPod use.

I used to plug into the 3.5mm audio out jack in the dock so that I was efectively using the 30 pin connector to pass the audio through the dock.
I remember having various odd sound issues and the music volume would fluctuate.

Since then I just plug straight into the iPhones headphone jack and haven't had any audio issues since.

So maybe there is some kind of tarnish on the audio specific pins in the dock on my iPad and it's enough to cause "something" to trigger the noise blast...