Author Topic: My Fader 3.0  (Read 30741 times)

Wynnd

• Master
Re: My Fader 3.0
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2015, 03:11:05 PM »
I've been doing at least one theater show every year for the last 8 years.  I did one last year on the DL1608.  There are enough channels, but where the virtual faders don't keep up with the physical faders is, when I'm looking at the stage for a cue, I can't be looking at my fingers to make sure they are ready to touch the control I need and being human, that means my hand might have changed position.  Yes, I can put my finger on the virtual fader and as long as I don't move sideways, that works, but with a mute button?  (And those are a bit small too.)  I've got a small one this Saturday with all those issues.  Hopefully that will go fairly well, but I haven't seen a rehearsal and while the group is only doing part of the script, I don't know what part of the script.  (Feel a bit unprepared for this one.)  The full show that this is only a part of is later this month. 

I like the DL and Master Fader 3.  It's just better for musical groups than quick microphone changes.  (Most of these variety show groups have more performers than mics and they performers move on and off stage in minutes.)  As a mixer for the full set group?  It's right where it needs to be.  I wasn't expecting to do 3 variety shows this year. (First time for 3 different shows.  Previously it was always only 1 show performed multiple times.) I should be flattered, because the second group last year had some common actors with the first group and the third group this year saw one of my shows and hired me for it.  (No common actors.)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2015, 03:43:53 PM »
I've been doing at least one theater show every year for the last 8 years.  I did one last year on the DL1608.  There are enough channels, but where the virtual faders don't keep up with the physical faders is, when I'm looking at the stage for a cue, I can't be looking at my fingers to make sure they are ready to touch the control I need and being human, that means my hand might have changed position.  Yes, I can put my finger on the virtual fader and as long as I don't move sideways, that works, but with a mute button?  (And those are a bit small too.)  I've got a small one this Saturday with all those issues.  Hopefully that will go fairly well, but I haven't seen a rehearsal and while the group is only doing part of the script, I don't know what part of the script.  (Feel a bit unprepared for this one.)  The full show that this is only a part of is later this month. 

That’s where a touch reactive heads up display would be great! Just have it display within the range of your peripheral vision. You could see what’s happening on stage but keep track of the faders and controls within easy reach, in the air just above the mixing desk. Talk about virtual faders. Not in my lifetime.  :(

Sorry thinking 22-23 century stuff again.
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2015, 03:51:38 PM »
There are enough channels, but where the virtual faders don't keep up with the physical faders is, when I'm looking at the stage for a cue, I can't be looking at my fingers to make sure they are ready to touch the control I need and being human, that means my hand might have changed position.  Yes, I can put my finger on the virtual fader and as long as I don't move sideways, that works, but with a mute button?  (And those are a bit small too.)
No prob - just hook up one of them little MIDI control surfaces :) .

Oops, never mind - I was confusing it with a Behringer ;) .

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2015, 05:30:29 PM »

That’s where a touch reactive heads up display would be great! Just have it display within the range of your peripheral vision. You could see what’s happening on stage but keep track of the faders and controls within easy reach, in the air just above the mixing desk. Talk about virtual faders. Not in my lifetime.  :(

Sorry thinking 22-23 century stuff again.
Try 20 century, fighter pilots have been using heads-up displays for a long time. ;) 22-23 century you think what position you want your faders in, err make that your robot thinks.
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2015, 05:34:57 PM »
I like the heads up display idea.  I was just thinking about what level to dress at.   Don't know if this is formal.  Heads up display and a tux?   Probably a bad idea.

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2015, 05:38:53 PM »
I like the heads up display idea.  I was just thinking about what level to dress at.   Don't know if this is formal.  Heads up display and a tux?   Probably a bad idea.
Just wear your dress blues. You'll have more credibility that way. :lol:
Mackie Junkie

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2015, 06:36:00 PM »
Never had dress Blues while in the Army.  And my Army weight was about 60 pounds ago.  (And ended in 1977)  My Brother was a career soldier who retired as a CSM.  He had dress Blues.  (One of the better looking formal uniforms in the Army.)

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2015, 07:02:47 PM »
Well, you're a step ahead of me. I was never in the military, and it's too late now.
Mackie Junkie

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2015, 07:09:31 PM »
Having been in the Military doesn't make you better than anyone else.  It is a different life and not for everyone.  I basically survived it during peacetime in the USA.  Fairly good duty but with a war preparation goal.  I found out what worked when the news reported it in Desert Storm. 

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2015, 07:21:35 PM »
Having been in the Military doesn't make you better than anyone else. 
That's true, but I have a lot more respect for people who have served in the military. :police:
Mackie Junkie

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2015, 10:32:13 PM »
Maybe they could build new mixers with AI. Set everything up at the venue, power up the board and it automatically runs everything with minimal input from the operator. But how far do you go? It could literally get to the point where anyone off the street could run a show without any experience at all.  :'(
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2015, 10:34:45 PM »
Maybe they could build new mixers with AI. Set everything up at the venue, power up the board and it automatically runs everything with minimal input from the operator. But how far do you go? It could literally get to the point where anyone off the street could run a show without any experience at all.  :'(
Already being done, and you thought you were indispensable.  ;)
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2015, 11:03:42 PM »
Just found this after a quick google:

AES E-Library

Mixing and Artificial Intelligence

[Feature] Mixing engineers are not yet made redundant by new technology, but there are a number of common trends in the ways people mix. These can enable automatic systems to emulate the behavior of sound mixers, with the aim of bringing a mix somewhere close to what a human engineer might achieve. There is also a role for novel controllers and technology-assisted mixing tools to make the human engineer’s job more straightforward in the age of multiple channels and 3-D mixing

Very interesting

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2015, 01:22:27 AM »
Magic Leap and M$ Hololens are  some of the technology hopefully just around the corner.
When in doubt KISS

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2015, 05:40:12 PM »
Any actual update on progress with My Fader 3? Someone mentioned that it had been submitted to the App Store folks? Any truth to that? Or, is it still in a limited beta? Inquiring minds want to know. Not to mention, my wife, as she's waiting less and less patiently for me to be able to transfer my iPad Mini over to her.... :)
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA