Live Performance & Production > Sound Reinforcement

Who runs an active system - who runs a passive?

<< < (3/8) > >>

RoadRanger:
Hey Bill, do you have any of the SB2A's?  Would two of those and two SB122 driven off them keep up with a pair of Peavey 12D's? I've really got a "thing" for keeping all my boxes under 50 lbs each and at 35 lbs those would be great if they could do the job :).

BillESC:
Quite easily IMHO.

Keyguy:
I run all active. 2-FBT Maxx4a tops, 2-FBT Maxx9sa subs, and 5-FBT Maxx2a for monitors. And yes, you need to check the EQ's before every job because they do get moved in transport. I have resisted the power/xlr cables because of the cost, but I may be weakening. One downside to those cables is with the AC running inside it, I would hate for someone to put a high heel or something through the cable. The only problem in 5 years was one of the monitor amps went, but FBT promptly repaired it (reasonably priced). A couple of the pots are starting to get noisy, so I will have to address that soon. The system has a great sound and is pretty lightweight.

monthlymixcd:
How are those FBTs?!? There's a used pair of Maxx4a cabs on the local CL for $1400 and a pair of Maxx6a cabs at GC for $1600. I've heard those 6s and they would be great DJ cabs for a simple SoS gig, but I prefer smaller drivers in tops for live SR.

FWIW - I run a mix of passive/active tops/monitors depending on the gig. I also use a powered sub... when needed. I'd really rather be all powered except my monitors I think.

Keyguy:
I have been really pleased with the FBT's. I was originally reluctant because of the brand being relatively unknown. Like you, I prefer the 12's for the tops.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version