Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

My 1st Time Recording Experiment With the DL1608 and Master Fader 3.X

(1/6) > >>

Keyboard Magic:
I have an informal recording session coming up soon for the school and needed to check out the new recording level feature in MF 3.X

It’s okay, but if you leave the levels at their preset values, the playback is still too low. I’ve found from experimentation, that they need to be set to max for each channel for a half decent raw recorded playback level. Obviously you have to tweak to taste. I don’t think that you’re going to run into distortion even at max levels. It all depends on the source and channel levels on the board too. I have my recording and main channel levels set to 0 dB, with the pre’s at 1:00.

I loaded the wav into Sound Forge and even at max rec’ levels on the DL the wav is still low in volume, but better than MF 2.X levels. I brought the level up in Sound Forge using a BBE Sonic Sweet Loudness Maximizer VST Plug-In, by 10 dB. No distortion and the wav was actually at the same level as the pre-recorded track I used for the test. And it still sounded as good as the original!

At least you can tweak the levels internally. Of course with the 1608 you still have to undock the iPad, connect to your PC in iTunes and save the wav before you can even listen to it. A minor irritation when you’re doing an informal recording session, since you have to carry your laptop to listen to your audio recording.

If you’re doing a serious recording, the DL1608 shouldn’t be your main recording platform IMHO, but still nice to have for quick takes, even with the lack of some features like the ability to listen to your track right from within the DL/iPad. That would be cool! Maybe Master Fader 4.X? Hint Hint  ;)

Still, it's a sign that Mackie was listening and added recording level controls.  :thu: :thu:

PS: I'm definitely going to use the DL for the on location recording this month.  :)

Wynnd:
Generally the DL1608 mixer is so quiet that normalizing what looks like a weak signal still results in a very clean recording.  Actually sounds like you don't know how to normalize a track.  I know how to do it with Cubase.  Its got to be similar in other DAWs. And if you don't know what I'm talking about, look it up. 

Keyboard Magic:

--- Quote from: Wynnd on March 27, 2015, 02:32:57 PM ---Generally the DL1608 mixer is so quiet that normalizing what looks like a weak signal still results in a very clean recording.  Actually sounds like you don't know how to normalize a track.  I know how to do it with Cubase.  Its got to be similar in other DAWs. And if you don't know what I'm talking about, look it up.

--- End quote ---

I'm very surprised you're not giving me enough credit here. Ouch!

Actually I’ve had many years experience editing audio, re-mastering audio cassettes to CD etc. So I actually do know a thing or 2 about normalizing multiple audio tracks or 1. This plug-in was my choice for bringing this particular test recording up to the original track levels. If I had more than one track to master to CD for example, then I would normalize them to make them all the same playback volume.

I use many tools and this one was my particular choice. Everyone does things differently to achieve similar results. And like I said I will be using this DL for the onsite recording, and very happy to do so. It runs very clean and does produce a pretty good recording, more than enough adequate for my needs.

I don't have a degree in audio engineering, but I think I do just fine. I'm sorry you feel that way.

RoadRanger:
Use the "Voice Record Pro" app, record to 24 bit M4A format. Then you can transfer the files wirelessly a whole bunch of ways from within the app. Post process it with "MP3Gain" with the 3rd party "AACGain" update (does not re-code so no quality loss) and you're done :) :
http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php

Keyboard Magic:

--- Quote from: RoadRanger on March 27, 2015, 03:24:18 PM ---Use Voice Record Pro, record to 24 bit M4A format. Then you can transfer the files wirelessly a whole bunch of ways from within the app. Post process it with "MP3Gain" with the 3rd party "AACGain" update and you're done :) :
http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php

--- End quote ---

And Bob's your uncle.  ;) Thank you for your constructive information. A very good suggestion, which I will try out too!  8) And thank you for the link. It's always good to have different tools to use. I never limit my self to just one "everything" product.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version